Nontrad PS Question - Leaving Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

banana_phone

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright. I had what I thought was a final draft of my PS (haha, funny, I think this thing will never be final until I actually submit) but then had a wise, experienced person look it over and rearrange a few things to help clear up my point.

Basically, I started a Master's program in Elementary Education straight out of undegrad, but left the program before completing it due to my mother's failing health and my coinciding (and related) realization that I needed to pursue a career in medicine. My PS covers the reasons for the switch and then focuses on why medicine.

I have only a sentence mentioning the Master's program, as its quite apparent from my transcripts and lack of M.Ed degree that I did not complete it. BUT, do I even need to specifically address this in my PS? Would I be remiss not to, and to leave it for secondaries? Please help! With the re-work, the essay flows better without this sentence, and I fear including the sentence makes me look indecisive, which is something I want to avoid in the PS.
 
Personal advice will be more helpful than SDN on this one. Some schools screen at primaries and some don't. Not explaining a big thing and then having it effect your access to secondaries would be a big issue to worry about but I don't know what schools do that. My understanding is most of them just screen basic stats. (and no mine took 6 revisions and I was never really "happy" with it either. But I am in finals of my MS1 so I can't complain).