Nontrad + Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catherine81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last time I took the MCAT four years ago, I decided to call it quits and explore other careers. I was extremely discouraged in the past and thought that medicine was not for me. I am finishing a master's degree in a business field (due in March) and working at one of the largest public accounting firms in the country. However, the desire of becoming a doctor has never waned over time. Now, I am not sure how and where to begin my second attempt in pursuing a career as a physician. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in biology and so I have already completed all the requisite courses for medical school. My MCAT scores are too old and of course, not too stellar.

I would like to ask anyone's opinion. Should I take the MCAT and apply using outdated transcripts, LORs, etc? Should I do a post-bac or a master's? I know that an MBA is worthless since none of the courses are in science. I am not sure where to begin at all. I need assistance in this matter!

Catherine

Members don't see this ad.

I would have two concerns:
1. If you graduated in biology 4+ years ago, and haven't used your knowledge since, it's probably somewhat rusty by now, which could both hurt your MCAT and make it harder in medical school.
2. How can you prove your interest in medicine? Do you have volunteering/shadowing experience? Trust me, Adcoms will NOT want to hear that you're fed up with your current career, and going back to an old unfulfilled dream. They want solid indications that medicine is really what you want, and that you'll do whatever it takes to accomplish that goal.

So, specifically, I'd recommend some "refresher" prereq courses and volunteering experience, which, incidentally, will also allow you to get fresh LoR's.

So, specifically, I'd recommend some "refresher" prereq courses and volunteering experience, which, incidentally, will also allow you to get fresh LoR's.
I agree with this advice. Retake the pre-reqs, get clinical and volunteering ECs, and study your butt off for the MCAT. You might be able to get your ducks in order to apply within two years if you work hard. You probably already took the labs for the science classes, so you can just retake the lectures and get through them a lot faster than you'd be able to otherwise. I'm assuming your UG grades are decent, BTW. If they're really good (GPA >3.8), you could also consider just auditing the science coursework. But if you need to do damage control for your GPA, then you better take the courses for grades and do your best to get all As from here on out.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://more.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=53981QofQuimica, would taking MCAT in August be a huge disadvantage in general and for California schools in particular?

Of all the August MCAT test-takers, do only people with ultra-high number get in?

Thank you!
I was an August MCAT taker myself, but I took the test early, not late. (In other words, I took the test in August 2004 and waited until the following summer of 2005 to apply.) This worked out extremely well, as I was able to submit everything very early. My AMCAS went out on June first. But I assume you plan to take the test in August of the year you plan to apply, and if you do, yeah, you're going to be a late applicant. That's not the ideal situation, but you do what you have to do. If you know you won't have time to prepare properly for the MCAT earlier, then you wait until you're ready. I think it would be better to apply in the fall with a strong MCAT than it would be to apply in June with a mediocre one. But that's my personal opinion; I can't tell you how an adcom would feel about it.

I didn't apply to any schools in CA, so I can't give you any advice about applying to any of them. You might try contacting some of the schools that you're interested in and asking them these questions.