Nontrad Seeking Advice for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Daydreamer23

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a 24 year old Masters student in public health and I am considering applying for medical school in a few years. Although I took a few biomedical courses in undergrad like genetics and organic chem, I didn't do so hot in them and I do not have clinical experience. My public health program has opened my eyes to the state of our healthcare system and I've learned so much about the social, economical, and biological determinants that create under served and marginalized populations. Because of this i have become very interested in being a physician that serves these communities.

But I'd say that my only qualification right now is my research experience and public health background. So my question is, where should I start? I'm not in a rush so i'm willing to take the time to become a qualified applicant. To fulfill the prereqs, would I have to enroll in an undergraduate program? Also, what is the best way to contact physicians to shadow them?

Thoughtful advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
You definitely do not have to enroll in an undergraduate program. Since you’re already enrolled in a master’s program, I’m sure you could also sign up for undergraduate courses at that institution as well. Another option would be after completing your masters, enroll as a non-degree seeking student at either your same school or local community college and take classes that way. The only classes you need to take are the required pre-req’s, typically 2 semesters each of biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics. Some schools also require an english course and/or calculus and/or biochemistry. Once you finish all of these, study and take the MCAT!

For clinical experience, do an internet search for volunteer programs at hospitals in your area. Almost everyone hospital has one, and you kill two birds with one stone- clinical experience and volunteer experience. Also, maybe find one more volunteer experience that isn’t clinical. There’s lots of options for this- soup kitchen, hospice, boys and girls club, etc.

As far as shadowing goes, I honestly just cold called/emailed and got a really good response. I started with a field that I was interested in, called the hospital and spoke to the receptionist for that department, told her that I was a non traditional student applying to medical school and asked if there was anyone who would be willing to let me shadow. I ended up getting to shadow the medical director!

It can be overwhelming, but these things can get you started, and the more you research, the less overwhelming the process will be!