7+ Year Member
- Jan 8, 2015
- Reaction score
I think your grades, leadership experience, and working background make up for any perceived lack of clinical volunteer hours or shadowing experience. You should absolutely count the 30hours of volunteer experience, though. Adcoms aren't going to know you did below the suggested minimum hours at a random hospital. You should also continue with your plan to shadow/volunteer this spring. I understand that you're worried about them "seeing right through it", but think of it this way: the professionals who sit on adcoms are not going to look at your file and say, ">35MCAT, 3.9 GPA, great leadership experience/life experience...but MD89 is being disingenuous trying to get in those volunteer hours so late! H/she is out!" That just seems unreasonable and myopic of them to do so, you know? If anything, when you're invited for an interview, that might be something they ask you about, which at that point you can spin it however you want.
The biggest thing I can suggest, however, is to start emailing deans and asking them questions--form a rapport with them. Ask them what your chances are at their school and show them interest. Ask them how they feel about non-traditional students. You can leverage this relationship with them in several ways, but PM me if you'd like more insight about this part of the application process, since I feel like I'm getting off the main topic haha.
So yeah, give it a shot!
I vote for waiting a year and improving your clinical experiences. Your GPA and MCAT are great so you will have lots of opportunities if you can improve your medically-related ECs.
What about a clinical research job in the meantime, if you are burned out by your corporate gig? Or TAing/tutoring in your post-bacc?
Hi everyone!! I finally signed up for an account after taking my Jan 8th MCAT and having received my score yesterday, would love to hear other nontrads'/adcom members' advice on my situation. To remain somewhat anonymous, I'm going to be sort of vague on some of my details, but hopefully that shouldn't make much of a difference.
Occupation: Corporate-type job (one that is somewhat impressive/prestigious and involves a rigorous qualification process)
Total GPA: >3.9
Science GPA: ~3.9
MCAT: >35 (I was SHOCKED, completely not expecting this - I feel super blessed)
- I already completed a formal post-bacc program
- I can get a committee letter from my post-bacc program and can also easily get other letters if needed
- My post-bacc did not include much in the way of shadowing or volunteering
- I have minimal shadowing hours and will only be able to begin shadowing 1 day/week in late spring
- I have a normal amount of non-clinical volunteering (2.75 years in one organization, 1 semester at a second, and about 24 hours/4 days at a third but this has been spread out basically 1 day/year for the past few years)
- I have less than optimal clinical volunteering hours. I volunteered one summer (100 hours) at a hospital when I was still in high school (so I don't think I can count this), volunteered for about 30 hours before my post-bacc program started (I also don't think I can count this as it was unfortunately less than the minimum the hospital wanted and they weren't happy about that fact), and I started a 2 hr/week volunteer gig last month that I plan to stick with until I matriculate into med school.
- I was pretty active in undergrad (albeit really only in things related to my major): I was part of a Greek honors society for 4 semesters that had weekly meetings, I served on a student board for a department for a year, and I received a lot of academic awards.
- My work experience has a lot of leadership involved (I have trained people below me and I am in a role where I manage staff to a degree and definitely review a lot of their work).
I have two dilemmas. First, I don't know if I should apply this upcoming cycle. My clinical side of things is clearly weak and even if I try to get a lot of shadowing in during late spring/summer (I absolutely can't before then), my worries are that adcoms will see right through this since it will be so close to application time. Before I got my MCAT score, I was planning on waiting another year in order to boost my ECs. Should I still wait another year? I'm not COMPLETELY opposed to it, just you know, I'm not getting any younger and I really don't think I can stick it out in a corporate job for that long (and it would definitely make financial sense to stay in my corporate job rather than attempting to switch to an entry-level medically related one that I probably wouldn't qualify for anyways).
My second dilemma is related to my first. I literally have no clue where I should even apply to (other than my state school, of course). Grades-wise, I would think that I could aim relatively-highish but I just don't think my ECs are good enough yet. I have the MSAR and am having extreme difficulty narrowing down school - any help would definitely be appreciated!
Sorry for the long post - I'm just in a quandary as my situation is really kind of weird!