Nontraditional Applicant Looking for Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agarwal1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a nontraditional U.S. student looking to apply to dental school/increase my chances in the most effective way possible. Some background on me: I attended an accelerated BS/MD program in the Caribbean. Unfortunately due to health compromises, I had to withdraw after completion of my basic sciences thus granting me only with a bachelor's degree in human and health sciences. During my last year of basic sciences, I took a leave of absence to explore other options in healthcare and really think dental is a better suit for me - not only academically but also for my health.

A little background on the program I completed: undergrad courses completed with ~3.5 gpa and awarded AS degree. Graduate school courses (medical school basic sciences) completed with ~2.8 gpa (P/F system). However, my transcripts reflect that my BHHS was awarded with my medical school gpa rather than a combined average of my undergrad + grad courses. Besides the courses here, I did attend a US 4-year university and have 54 credits on file.

With my background and credentials, what would be the best way to approach my transition and application to dental school? Is transferring credit to a US university for an American bachelor's the best option? Post-bacc programs? I appreciate any help or advice from you guys, looking forward to it. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since you already have a bachelor's degree, I would suggest taking the GRE so you can apply to a master's program in the US to prove that you know your stuff and can perform at a high level. After that, study for and crush the DAT. These are the two main things that I think will increase your chance of acceptance.

I would suggest working on getting 200+ shadowing hours since you were previously in a different professional school. Also, work on other aspects of your application if you are weak, leadership/service, that kind of stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
The courses I took for my undergrad program are transferrable to a small handful of US universities. Will those be evaluated as such or would I be required to attend their university first?
You seem to be a little confused.

The courses I took for my undergrad program are transferrable to a small handful of US universities. Will those be evaluated as such or would I be required to attend their university first?
i'm pretty sure you would have to transfer to one of those small handful of US universities that accept your credits as transferable in order for them to be considered... so yes, I think you'd need to attend one of them!

You seem to be a little confused.

Absolutely. My school has about five US universities they have articulation agreements with that guarantee admission. I assume grad programs would only recognize my courses provided I graduate from one of those five? I am currently awaiting feedback from WES for my credit evaluations. Given that the courses I took out of the states are considered pre-reqs, would I have to complete them again if I transfer to an undergraduate program?