Medical Nontraditional Applicant, where do I go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I "graduated" in 2014 from a public university, transferred there from a community college.

Quotes for graduated because I had been given wrongful approval for graduation by my academic counselor back in 2014 because my transfer credits did not cover one English course, with the help of the university I was able to complete that final course about a month ago and am an official graduate 6 years later (received an A, yay!). C/O 2020!

Between finishing up at university and now I worked as a medical scribe, I started another part-time job in the restaurant industry, which led to working as the Vice President of Operations of that company for a couple of years. I chose to resign from my corporate job last year in order to return to my pursuit of becoming a physician.

So, where do I go from here? My initial thoughts were to attend a GPA enhancement Post bac program -> study and take MCAT -> Apply for MD Programs.

I believe that my GPA is lackluster for MD programs, and I have a considerable gap in my academic profile, which is why I was leaning towards this path.

Are there other gaps in my application I should address?

Thank you so much in advance!

Stats:
Asian American, 30 years old, California Resident
cgpa: 3.5 spga: 3.6 (from university I transferred and graduated from)
MCAT: Not Taken
Research: 400 hours in Undergrad working in a Malaria lab, no publications
Medical scribe: 400 hours worked with Outpatient Internal Medicine
Other professional experience: Started as a food runner and after 2 years and 5 large promotions served as Vice President of Operations for 2 years for a multimillion-dollar restaurant company, 15 branches, and approximately 1000 employees at the time. The total length of time worked at company was 4 years.
Shadowing: 100 hours with an Emergency Department Physician, during these shifts I was able to witness hours in the Triage, the physician making rounds, and trauma bay calls, I plan to shadow at least 2 other specialties, delays due to COVID.
Non-Clinical Volunteering: While in college (mostly during summers) I volunteered on organizing and leading 2 trips to help with relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina, Led an English Camp overseas in Asia for the underprivileged, helped build houses and held English camps for underprivileged in Mexico, volunteered over 1000 hours serving youth at my local church as a leader, led as a council member for a multi-church organization aimed at equipping smaller underresourced churches for 7 years.
Clinical Volunteering: This has recently been very difficult due to COVID, but since June, I have been volunteering with a free COVID testing site and have served for over 100 hours so far. (I'm not sure if this would count as clinical experience but there have been nursing students from private universities helping out at the site for their "clinical rotations")
I agree with your plan. Being a California resident is rough as the instate schools are highly competitive and you probably aren’t competitive for them with your current GPA. If you were to complete a DIY post bac while studying for and doing well on the MCAT, you would have a good shot.

If you are okay with DO schools, your GPA is good and you would just need to take the MCAT.

Also, you are going to need to take your medical school prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you what your chances are without your MCAT score. Also, did you complete the medical school pre-requisites?

You don't necessarily need GPA repair if you're able to score well on the MCAT, but if you haven't taken all of your medical school pre-requisites, you should probably just retake a bunch of them to boost your GPA if that's affordable. The speed at which you complete a post-bacc is not important as long as you do well and get as many A's as you can.

best of luck.

Thank you for the responses!

I did complete my medical school pre-requisites in undergrad and graduated with a B.S. in Biology, would the gap in time since my last upper division science classes not merit some form of post-bacc?

Are there any particular reasons why the recommendation of a DIY post-bacc versus a formal program?

I found a list posted by I believe Goro that outlined some classes I could take for the DIY route, glad there are some classes on there I haven't taken yet.

"Anatomy
Biochem
Bioinformatics
Biostats
Cell Bio
Developmental Biology or Embryology
Histology
Immunology
Med Micro OR Bacteriology and/or Virology
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Neuroscience or Neurobiology
Parasitology (if offered)
Pathology
Physiology
Tumor or Cancer Biology
"

Thank you again.

I don’t believe I made any recommendation with regard to the type of post bacc. Formal or a la carte are both just fine. I do recommend thoseover an SMP, though, as a post bacc will actually impact your gpa and a masters will not.

and yes, I think some sort of post bacc will be necessary. If you do really well, it could even give you a better chance of admission given the gpa repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.