Nontraditional Student asking your opinion/suggestions

Started by Superman22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Superman22

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. I am new to this forum.
I am a 38 y.o. former educator with a Master in Teaching of History(4.37 average). I wanted to go to Pharm school back in the late 90's. But, due to family responsibilites, I had to side track this career change. Today, I am hoping to begin my quest to become a future pharmacist. The problem is, I took half of my prereqs back in the 80's. I got mostly C's and a few B's. but have to retake calc (got a D in 1987). I have taught in high school for 10 years and have done community service over the past 4 yrs.

I am wondering if the courses I took over a decade ago will be accepted. If not, what should I do? If not, how can I demonstrate competency in these courses without having to retake them? Although I really want to pursue a PharmD, it would be difficult to do this (have a family and am the main caretaker of my children).

I also have a question about the PCAT. If I had to retake the PCAT, will the scores be averaged or only the highest score be considered?

I would appreciate any opinions, suggestions, advice anyone can give to me. Thanks.
 
Some schools only accept coursework completed within the last 5 (or maybe 7) years. Others don't have a restriction. So, you'd have to check witht he individual schools. If they require courses to be more recent I don't see any way around that. As for the PCAT, I believe they would use your higher score, but it's also noted if you've taken the exan more than once (though I'm not sure what impact that has).
 
jalba22 said:
Hello. I am new to this forum.
I am a 38 y.o. former educator with a Master in Teaching of History(4.37 average). I wanted to go to Pharm school back in the late 90's. But, due to family responsibilites, I had to side track this career change. Today, I am hoping to begin my quest to become a future pharmacist. The problem is, I took half of my prereqs back in the 80's. I got mostly C's and a few B's. but have to retake calc (got a D in 1987). I have taught in high school for 10 years and have done community service over the past 4 yrs.

I am wondering if the courses I took over a decade ago will be accepted. If not, what should I do? If not, how can I demonstrate competency in these courses without having to retake them? Although I really want to pursue a PharmD, it would be difficult to do this (have a family and am the main caretaker of my children).

I also have a question about the PCAT. If I had to retake the PCAT, will the scores be averaged or only the highest score be considered?

I would appreciate any opinions, suggestions, advice anyone can give to me. Thanks.

I wouldn't retake them unless you did poorly. I'm 38 and did a lot of research into it. You probably should retake the science courses. Admissions wants to be sure that you can handle them, especially Chemistry courses.