Norepinephrine vs. Epinephrine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CorpusCallosum

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A little off topic, but I figured this would be a good place to ask this question. What are the differences between Norepinephrine and Epinephrine??? If someone can take the time and tell me both the differences as a hormone and neurotransmitter, then thank you. While I know that Norepinephrine is one of the common monoamine neurotransmitters and I am familiar with its basic function, but I never hear much about epinephrine's use in neurotransmission. As hormones they both stimulate sympathetic actions and do the same thing, right? I am honestly lost and I am sure this is elementary for most, so I would appreciate your time, thanks.
 
NE acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, and beta-1 recpetors...works to raise the heart rate and modulate blood pressure
E acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, beta-1, AND beta-2..effective anti-histamine and treatment for shock

if you learn where these receptors are located and what G protein is associated with them , you should be able to figure out all of their actions..like llogg posted, just pick up a clinical pharm book and open to the ANS chapter.