1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Norepinephrine vs. Epinephrine

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by CorpusCallosum, Mar 22, 2007.

1. CorpusCallosum

Pre-Medical
    A little off topic, but I figured this would be a good place to ask this question. What are the differences between Norepinephrine and Epinephrine??? If someone can take the time and tell me both the differences as a hormone and neurotransmitter, then thank you. While I know that Norepinephrine is one of the common monoamine neurotransmitters and I am familiar with its basic function, but I never hear much about epinephrine's use in neurotransmission. As hormones they both stimulate sympathetic actions and do the same thing, right? I am honestly lost and I am sure this is elementary for most, so I would appreciate your time, thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. llogg

llogg New Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. pballa24

pballa24 Ali G is my idol...?
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    NE acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, and beta-1 recpetors...works to raise the heart rate and modulate blood pressure
    E acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, beta-1, AND beta-2..effective anti-histamine and treatment for shock

if you learn where these receptors are located and what G protein is associated with them , you should be able to figure out all of their actions..like llogg posted, just pick up a clinical pharm book and open to the ANS chapter.

5. danielmd06

danielmd06 Neurosomnologist
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Norepinephrine has less of an effect on Beta-1 and especially Beta-2 compared to Epinephrine.

Both increase SVR, CO, and PCWP.