1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Norepinephrine vs. Epinephrine

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by CorpusCallosum, Mar 22, 2007.

1. CorpusCallosum

Pre-Medical
    A little off topic, but I figured this would be a good place to ask this question. What are the differences between Norepinephrine and Epinephrine??? If someone can take the time and tell me both the differences as a hormone and neurotransmitter, then thank you. While I know that Norepinephrine is one of the common monoamine neurotransmitters and I am familiar with its basic function, but I never hear much about epinephrine's use in neurotransmission. As hormones they both stimulate sympathetic actions and do the same thing, right? I am honestly lost and I am sure this is elementary for most, so I would appreciate your time, thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. llogg

llogg New Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. pballa24

pballa24 Ali G is my idol...?
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    NE acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, and beta-1 recpetors...works to raise the heart rate and modulate blood pressure
    E acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, beta-1, AND beta-2..effective anti-histamine and treatment for shock

if you learn where these receptors are located and what G protein is associated with them , you should be able to figure out all of their actions..like llogg posted, just pick up a clinical pharm book and open to the ANS chapter.

5. danielmd06

danielmd06 Neurosomnologist
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Norepinephrine has less of an effect on Beta-1 and especially Beta-2 compared to Epinephrine.

Both increase SVR, CO, and PCWP.