Normal Anxiety Levels?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TastyBrains

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some input from other premeds and recent premeds. I'm 'getting the job done' so to speak in school as far as acing classes, however every semester feels like a balancing act of moderate stress/anxiety trying to prop one declining class up with more intense effort while easing off one that has been easier...re-assessing...re-adjusting. By the end of each semester and finals week the anxiety can build to significantly higher levels. I look around at fellow students and know that this is not a rare experience/quality in college students in general, however I have no clue how my level of intensity relates to other premed students.

Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy what I am doing, however I am concerned about keeping this level of focus onward and into medical school which sounds all the more intimidating. Please tell me some other premeds cruise through each semester in a functional yet persistent ball of stress accelerating into disconcerting intensity around finals weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

I’d recommend speaking to someone about this OP. As you wisely pointed out, you have a long road of high stress school work ahead of you. I’d also add that med school is essentially finals week non stop, at least the first two years in terms of amount of material and exams.

There’s no point in making it harder for yourself than it needs to be. Anxiety is extremely common in pre meds, med students, residents, attendings, but that doesn’t mean that it cant be detrimental and even dangerous. Again, I’d invite you to talk to a pro about this.

Reactions: 1 user
Please tell me some other premeds cruise through each semester in a functional yet persistent ball of stress accelerating into disconcerting intensity around finals weeks?

Some other premeds cruise through each semester in a functional yet persistent ball of stress accelerating into disconcerting intensity around finals weeks.

Reactions: 1 user