pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I highly doubt N will be on there, but I tried to logic this passage out. It said "25mL of 0.2N H2SO4". So I took that to be 0.1 MOLAR of H2SO4.

I know this is correct since 0.3M H3PO4 is 0.9N. So the way I made a formula is N=[#H needed to neutralize][Molarity acid]

I then did 0.1M/1000 = x/25; where it came out to be 0.0025 moles.

A student neutralized it with 20mL of NaOH. How much NaOH?
So I set it up...2.5x10^-3 / 2x10^-2, got 0.125, and was wrong.

How did I do this wrong?

MrNeuro

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2010
Danger Zone
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
You're neutralizing it all the way have to use N * L get moles and that's how many miles of OH- you needs. I'm like 75% sure about this. It was a question in TBR G CHEM that was destroying me.

kasho11

May 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Right, you need to use normality here because it accounts for the diprotic nature of H2SO4. But it is a somewhat low yield topic, possibly only a discrete or two on it might show up. I really hate complicated tension problems and I'm praying nothing hard shows up for me.

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You're neutralizing it all the way have to use N * L get moles and that's how many miles of OH- you needs. I'm like 75% sure about this. It was a question in TBR G CHEM that was destroying me.

That's exactly what I had problems with. That's why I made this topic. So I now know we need to use L*N, but why are we using L*N. N = [#H][Molarity] and molarity = moles/L. I don't see how I am wrong.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.