normalization?

Sleepyhead

3rd year Opt student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just called the oat center and they told me that the test was never normalized against people who took the test. Instead the test was a standard test that if you got a certain amount right or wrong that was your score...

I always thought the test was normalized against the group that took it with you. So I was calling to see if the final scores after the normalization would be sent, come to find out that the score report after the test, is the final score.

This was after two transfers, and finally to the person "that's in charge of that."

Sleepyhead

Members don't see this ad.

Sleepyhead said:
I just called the oat center and they told me that the test was never normalized against people who took the test. Instead the test was a standard test that if you got a certain amount right or wrong that was your score...

I always thought the test was normalized against the group that took it with you. So I was calling to see if the final scores after the normalization would be sent, come to find out that the score report after the test, is the final score.

This was after two transfers, and finally to the person "that's in charge of that."

Sleepyhead

They give you percentiles on your score report after you take the test. Are you compared to everyone taking the test during the same week as you? Apparently my 340AA is 94 percentile according to prometric, but I think it's more like 85. Just a little confused on that.

My AA was also a 340 and my total science was a 360. Prometric said both scores were about 95 percentile. However, I am finding it really hard to believe that those percentiles are accurate. Are those scores really in the top 5% of everyone who take the OAT?? Are there percentile stats continously updated so that they are accurate? I am just a little confused also, can anyone shed some light on this for us?

Hines302 said:
My AA was also a 340 and my total science was a 360. Prometric said both scores were about 95 percentile. However, I am finding it really hard to believe that those percentiles are accurate. Are those scores really in the top 5% of everyone who take the OAT?? Are there percentile stats continously updated so that they are accurate? I am just a little confused also, can anyone shed some light on this for us?

I can't really shed light on it (only more confusion!), but prometric said my 360 TS was in the 90.8 percentile, and my 360 AA was in the 93.8 percentile, so I guess that is different too from what yours said...

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt think precentiles mattered at all??? I thought that Schools only got your standard score?

Sleepyhead said:

Sleepyhead

Does this mean that the scores you get after the exam are in fact the scores sent to OD schools? I did the OAT yesterday and did extremely well (almost 80 points better than what I was getting with TopScore). I feel that the scores might even be too high, and that they wight be "normalized" and lowered a bit. Is there any chance that this could happen?

Thanks

Sleepyhead said:

Sleepyhead

With only the computerized OAT available to take, the test centers will probably store several sets of tests in the server to be re-used for quite a while. Each set of exams will have its own percentile trend derived from performances of candidates sitting for this particular OAT, but it should not vary much from one exam to the others. Bearing in mind that no two tests can be set at equal level of difficulties, I believe we should all give our best shots no matter what come up and let the established/fair statistical facts take care of the rest. In another words, someone felt he had done poorly might still end up getting appreciable scores, whereas another student taking another set would probably get a lower scores than expected even he felt the test to be a lot easier than he'd thought.

nvega13 said:
Does this mean that the scores you get after the exam are in fact the scores sent to OD schools? I did the OAT yesterday and did extremely well (almost 80 points better than what I was getting with TopScore). I feel that the scores might even be too high, and that they wight be "normalized" and lowered a bit. Is there any chance that this could happen?

Thanks

The scores you get after the exam ARE you scores. They will not change.