North Carolina Residency Process

Started by EHCAT4
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EHCAT4

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

I was recently accepted to UNC's DPT program and have paid my deposit. I have also accepted an offer to my hometown school of Emory & Henry College. I am looking at how affordable it will be for me to go to UNC being out of state (VA resident) and believe it will be very possible if I get residency in North Carolina. I have been looking over the residency process and it is a bit nerve-racking. I was wondering if anyone has been through this process in North Carolina and could shed some light on it from a student/clinician perspective?

Also just to add, I am not solely wanting to fo this for school as I know that is a possible issue. I have always wanted to/still want to move to NC to practice eventually and am also planning to get my athletic training licensure in NC as opposed to VA.

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Hello all!

I was recently accepted to UNC's DPT program and have paid my deposit. I have also accepted an offer to my hometown school of Emory & Henry College. I am looking at how affordable it will be for me to go to UNC being out of state (VA resident) and believe it will be very possible if I get residency in North Carolina. I have been looking over the residency process and it is a bit nerve-racking. I was wondering if anyone has been through this process in North Carolina and could shed some light on it from a student/clinician perspective?

Also just to add, I am not solely wanting to fo this for school as I know that is a possible issue. I have always wanted to/still want to move to NC to practice eventually and am also planning to get my athletic training licensure in NC as opposed to VA.

Thanks in advance!

I can't really speak to the process as I have been a resident of NC for approx 10 years now, but I know that you need to have lived in NC for at least a year to even be considered a resident. I'm not sure from your post if you have, but I had to prove residency to get in-state fees for a class and it was as simple as filling out an online form.