1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

North Carolina State

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by 3dogsand2cats, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything from NCSU yet. I know most of the time you don't hear anything until later but I was just curious.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

Nope, haven't heard anything. I don't think they even start reviewing the in-state apps until January. Out of state people should be hearing something soon-ish though.

4. Optimistic 13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary

#3 Optimistic 13, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  5. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Yeah thats what I figured but I was just seeing if by some chance someone had heard something. It really sucks that NCSU doesn't do interviews...!:(

6. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

Agreed. And it also really sucks that they don't let in-staters know until so late...Because it means that I have to fly all over the country to go to interviews (if I get offered some, haha) before I even know if I've gotten in there...and they're my first choice!

7. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

As for how many applied this year...

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/faq.html

40 more for in-state than last year. Bleck. I thought I'd heard that they were increasing the class size because of the new additions to the facility, but the website doesn't make any mention of that...so maybe the construction got behind (wouldn't be surprising!)

8. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    dido I feel the same way... I don't know how your experience has been with them but I feel that they are not very friendly/motivated people LOL I got in interview with Mississippi in Feb. How about you?

9. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

Yep, I'm interviewing at Miss St. as well...February 18th though, so we'll just barely miss each other! Bummer! How are you thinking about getting down there? Birmingham seems like the cheapest/most direct route from RDU.

10. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I am driving down so I will arrive on the 18th to look around and go to the pizza party that night.

11. Trilt

Trilt love doc + puppy snuggler extraordinaire
    Veterinarian Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I'm in undergrad at NCSU, and if I remember correctly, those increases aren't set for a couple years- possibly 2012, when (I believe) the construction is set to be finished. It was just begun recently, the campus is still a decent mess.

It's a nice increase, though- from 80 to 100 students.

12. Ben and Me

5+ Year Member

Ohhh okay, I was thinking they were for the vet school CLASS of 2012, not the class entering in 2012. Oops! :rolleyes:

13. bunnyslippers

bunnyslippers Purdue SVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I applied OOS to NC State and I am getting sooooooo antsy. I am like wishing and hoping all the while permanently glued to my cell phone until I hear from them. :xf:

14. IvyLynx

IvyLynx NCSU CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I thought construction was supposed to end this year? Not that it looks like it. Definitely still a mess.....

15. Trilt

I know they only broke the ground in late 2007, so definitely didn't think it was ever scheduled to be complete this year... or if it was, probably quite late in the year. C:

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/construction/ says that construction is due to be done 2010.

And now you have me casting doubts on what I heard about the class size- I don't remember if it was for the class of 2012, or the... 2012 class. Next pre-vet meeting, I'll ask our advisor.

#14 Trilt, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  16. IvyLynx

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    ^^ gotcha

how are you liking the pre-vet club btw? do you use it for networking? i've thought about going, but i don't see how it's be particularly useful

17. Trilt

I enjoy the club. We sometimes have some really interesting speakers; for example, we had a wonderful orthopedic surgeon/prosthetics vet speak a little while ago. Very, very interesting to me, I'm probably going to email him about shadowing for a day soon.

Also, even if you're not a meeting-attending member, I would try and at least subscribe to the emails. Lots of information is sent out that way- researchers will sometimes email our president looking for help, we had a free GRE practice exam/"Get into vet school" workshop a while back- stuff like that.

18. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I had to take my dog to one of the specialty hospital in Raleigh the other day. WOW the construction up there is NUTS. I don't know how you guys handle all that construction!

19. bunnyslippers

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Not sure if there are any other SDNers applying OOS, but does anyone have any new insight on when or how NC might be notifying us this year? Or how far they usually get through their waitlist?

It seems like January is going by soooo sllooowwwwlllyyyy.

I'm living on a hope and a prayer that I'll get good news from them.

20. boringusername

Pre-Veterinary
    When I spoke to someone over the phone they said that OOS letters were going out in January.... sorry, not much help.

21. Flying Eagle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    The Student Services Office has to stop the DVM Admissions process for the entire month of December to process the House Officer (residents and interns) applications that arrive through the MATCH Program. MATCH applications arrive via paper and NC State received over 900 for only 30+/- spots.

This is why resident applicants have to wait until March.

22. Flying Eagle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary

The Student Services Office has to stop the DVM Admissions process for the entire month of December to process the House Officer (residents and interns) applications that arrive through the MATCH Program. MATCH applications arrive via paper and NC State received over 900 for only 30+/- spots.

Also, most of the month of October is spent dealing with applicants that haven't followed directions.

This is why resident applicants have to wait until March.

When you do the math: 550 DVM applicants, 900 House Officer applicants, 300 DVM students, 85 Graduate students and 75 House Officers, I would say that the staff is extremely busy; not unmotivated!

23. UjarTheBarb

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that I got an acceptance phone call from NCSU yesterday, and I am OOS. Good luck everyone!

24. IvyLynx

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    congrats!!

i still have months and months of agonizing to do, ugh

25. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Congrats on getting accepted. :thumbup:

26. bunnyslippers

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    OOS and no phone call. :(

I wonder when they let people know about their waitlist.

27. epitastic

epitastic NCSU CVM 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Just to clarify, I am in C/O 2012 and we have 79 people, so increases are not happening now. I don't know how they'll do it exactly because the classrooms/labs are pretty much at capacity and the new construction doesn't include any class buildings. (although they may expand into the current VTH space when the new one is done.)
    anyway, if you have questions. let me know. i don't have time to check this too much, but i remember sitting on sdn for several months last year.

28. UjarTheBarb

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks for the well wishes and good luck to everyone!