North Shore LIJ Anesthesia Interview Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazzynaqsh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed there recently and wanted to know if others also interviewed there? I came out with mixed reactions to the place, definitely some positives but also negatives too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mazzy,

Haven't interviewed yet, but will be in December. I'd love to hear about your experience with the program if you're willing to share. The program looks great from the outside looking in, but I have been wondering a lot about this program recently.

Hope you have been having a good interview season so far!

Pros- new program, location, nice facilities and hospital
Cons- no residents; new program, interview with PD kind of scared me away from the program a bit too aggressive.

I guess you can see my mixed reaction to the program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pressure on you to do what? I'm also amused that "new program" is a pro AND a con

just general q's every applicant has wen they interview

Last edited:
Doesn't seem like that's anything new. Every program wants its residents to pass the boards on the first attempt and match at competitive fellowships. Seems like this "pressure" just means extra resources and attention to make sure you do just that. I'd be all about that effort. I'd just be concerned that the attendings may not know the best way to do that at this point being that this is a new program.

Is this their first year? I didn't realize they had a program at LIJ

I agree about the PD being very aggressive.
I found out that she was the PD at Brookdale, known to be very malignant, before that program shut down.

Just the mere fact that NAPA is administering this residency makes it suspect.

Just the mere fact that NAPA is administering this residency makes it suspect.
Why does that matter? You could be trained to work for them, or you could work for someone else after residency

interviewed there also in mid November. thought the program has a great image of where it wants to go, faculty were great, but didn't like the PD. not going to rank them, don't think I can work with a PD like that.

Why does that matter? You could be trained to work for them, or you could work for someone else after residency

if you want to go into private practice to pay off your med school loans and live the good life, I think the program will set you up nicely. however, if you want to go into academics for fellowship and teaching, then I think u will eventually get a fellowship, but maybe not a prestigious one. at the end of the day its a private practice group running the show and from what I have heard people who are distinguished in academics don't think too much of people in private practice.