North Shore LIJ Anesthesia Interview Experience

KevinMac628

Sep 3, 2012
    Hey Mazzy,

Haven't interviewed yet, but will be in December. I'd love to hear about your experience with the program if you're willing to share. The program looks great from the outside looking in, but I have been wondering a lot about this program recently.

Hope you have been having a good interview season so far!

mazzynaqsh

5+ Year Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    1. Post Doc
      Pros- new program, location, nice facilities and hospital
      Cons- no residents; new program, interview with PD kind of scared me away from the program a bit too aggressive.

I guess you can see my mixed reaction to the program.

Last edited:
      About the Ads

cognitus

5+ Year Member
      Oct 17, 2013
        Doesn't seem like that's anything new. Every program wants its residents to pass the boards on the first attempt and match at competitive fellowships. Seems like this "pressure" just means extra resources and attention to make sure you do just that. I'd be all about that effort. I'd just be concerned that the attendings may not know the best way to do that at this point being that this is a new program.

otis86

7+ Year Member
        Jun 10, 2013
        1. Attending Physician
          interviewed there also in mid November. thought the program has a great image of where it wants to go, faculty were great, but didn't like the PD. not going to rank them, don't think I can work with a PD like that.

otis86

7+ Year Member
          Jun 10, 2013
          1. Attending Physician
            Why does that matter? You could be trained to work for them, or you could work for someone else after residency

if you want to go into private practice to pay off your med school loans and live the good life, I think the program will set you up nicely. however, if you want to go into academics for fellowship and teaching, then I think u will eventually get a fellowship, but maybe not a prestigious one. at the end of the day its a private practice group running the show and from what I have heard people who are distinguished in academics don't think too much of people in private practice.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.