Northeast programs with a psychotherapy focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Second Doctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out which programs in the northeast (i.e., including PA, NJ, and all the states northeast of them) are strong psychotherapy programs. The usual line everybody gives is that theirs is a "balanced" program. Interpretation of what the word balanced means apparently varies wildly. The Institute of Living, Cornell, Columbia, Cambridge, Yale, and Mount Sinai are ones I found in an older post. Are these programs still this way? If you know of other programs in these states that offer strong psychotherapy training and supervision, would you please post them?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a very good question. On a similar note, are there programs offering personal psychotherapy courses for their residents? I saw an old thread mentioning 2 programs, wondering if others have followed suit.

I'd search around some, since this has been discussed extensively, but in short, I'd include (in no particular order):

MGH/McLean
Harvard Longwood
Cambridge
Brown
Yale
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Penn (esp. for CBT)

OK, so that ended up in geographical order north to south.

These actually are all "balanced" programs in terms of also teaching good psychopharm.