northeastern schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzene21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else applying to schools in the northeast?

also, if anyone could recommend northeastern schools for me to apply to it'd be greatly appreciated:

30Q MCAT (VR-9 PS-10 BS-11) GPA: 3.79 Science: 3.69 and ECs such as: 100+ hours volunteerwork at a children's hospital, volunteerwork at veteran's hospital, one semester research in a chem lab, 3 semesters chem TA, writer for an on-campus mag, various academic clubs, lifeguard for 6 years, work as a mentor for young girls interested in the sciences

Members don't see this ad.

bumping this thread because i KNOOOOWWW other people are applying or have applied to northeastern schools. haha. so let's get some discussion going ;)

NY: All SUNYs, NYMC, Albert Einstein, NYU?
Boston: Tufts, Boston University
Philadelphia: Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State
Connecticut: UConn

Members don't see this ad :)
apply to your state school(s) (I'm assuming you're from the northeast originally) and then apply to other schools that interest you.

Benzene, if you gave us a better idea of what fields you're interested in or where specifically in the northeast you wanted to be i could give you better recommendations

chable...are you a NY resident? i want to apply to a few places there but i don't know how much preference they give to NY natives.

and husky, thanks for the willingness to give recommendations. i have always been interested in pursuing pediatrics but i've recently developed alot of interest in cardiology. i guess i'd like to go somewhere that gives a good overview of everything. oh, and i am from pittsburgh so Pitt is my top choice though i know my chances are slim to get in there. But I'll definately be wanting to apply mainly to PA, Ohio, NY...places surrounding PA, i guess.

But I'll definately be wanting to apply mainly to PA, Ohio, NY...places surrounding PA, i guess.

Hmm - as a New Englander, I'm not so sure I agree with your definition of the northeast!

Pitt and Penn obviously come to mind, and you have a fairly good GPA to at least have a shot at either. I think Penn State is a great med school (or, at least I enjoyed my interview there).

Dartmouth!

NH <3

Hmm - as a New Englander, I'm not so sure I agree with your definition of the northeast!

haha. you New Englander's do tend to have a different definition of northeast ;) i guess by northeast i am thinking north of north carolina and east of indiana.

Dicky, I wasn't even going to apply at Penn based on my MCAT but if you think my GPA is high enough, i may apply there as a reach just to see if i can get in :) I will certainly apply to Pitt and Penn State as well.

Kaydubz, I didn't even think about Dartmuth, i'll definately have to look into their program.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
haha. you New Englander's do tend to have a different definition of northeast ;) i guess by northeast i am thinking north of north carolina and east of indiana.

I actually consider anything on the other side of the Hudson River to be in the South. Go past PA/DE/NJ and you're the "deep south" to me. :D

Dicky, I wasn't even going to apply at Penn based on my MCAT but if you think my GPA is high enough, i may apply there as a reach just to see if i can get in :) I will certainly apply to Pitt and Penn State as well.

Your MCAT will definately hurt, but their mean GPA for this year's diaper dandies at Penn was a 3.80. You may be a long shot (depending on how much Penn likes MCAT scores) but if you're interested in staying in-state, I think you have at least a small chance.

Don't forget about Brown... RI may be small but it's still there!

no worries, i haven't forgotten rhode island! i looked into going there for undergrad as well but decided to stay in state instead. Do you have any idea about how much preference they give to RI residents?

Dicky, thanks for offering some realistic input. My GPA is strong, my MCAT is not so great, my ECs are probably average. I thought of retaking my MCAT to strengthen my chances at Pitt or Penn but decided i didn't want to put myself through it again when my score wasn't bad. but it helps to know that someone thinks i at least have a slight chance :)

From what I've heard, Brown strongly prefers ppl from their own 8 year program that begins in undergrad. Some weight is given to residency because, let's face it, there are NO public schools here. :eek:

From what I've heard, Brown strongly prefers ppl from their own 8 year program that begins in undergrad. Some weight is given to residency because, let's face it, there are NO public schools here. :eek:

yeah, since it is such a small state, i wondered about their acceptance rate of oos. thanks for the info ;) i suppose i'll still apply anyhow just on the off chance that they like me. haha

chable...are you a NY resident? i want to apply to a few places there but i don't know how much preference they give to NY natives.

Yes, I am a NY resident. There are a decent number of OOS applicants who make it to the SUNYs and I think the SUNYs even claim not to give preference to NY residents.

Benzene:

Pitt is a great school. Definitely also apply to Penn State.

Cardiology is an internal med subspecialty, so it matters less about med school and more about residency on where you end up in the field.

Considering that you want to stay around PA there are a bunch of schools you could apply to, each with varying degrees of sellectivity...

UPenn, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, and Yale are all in the area if you are a very competitive applicant.

Temple (some in state bias, good for you), George Washington, Georgetown, Einstein, BU, and Tufts are all good middle of the road private schools in the area.

UConn, the UNJMDs, the SUNYs, and U Vermont are all state schools that do accept OSSs, so you could give them a shot too if they are a good fit for you.

For internal medicine, I would suggest going to a school where you will be happy and comfortable. For you, a big name med school is less of a big deal than a big name residency and to get that residency you're gonna need good scores on the usmles and good 3rd year reviews. To get those it'll help to be happy with your living situation, etc.

Hope this helped.

wow, of course that helped! haha. i definately added a couple of those middle tier schools to my list :) And it was great to get some feedback specific to the field that i'm interested in. thank you!