Northern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought you would all like to know, a new medical school has appeared on radar. They have had two semesters of students thus far. I thought they were pretty interesting because while it is four years total, they are using the ENTIRE four years, which makes cramming not really needed.

Plus they wont flunk out anyone, and apparently they are the cheapest medical school in the entire caribbean.

http://nms.ms

Members don't see this ad.

The first Three semesters are entirely online.
This gave me an instant aneurysm. And it should have given you one too. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably another fake med school, like Stewart University

Just thought you would all like to know, a new medical school has appeared on radar. They have had two semesters of students thus far. I thought they were pretty interesting because while it is four years total, they are using the ENTIRE four years, which makes cramming not really needed.

Plus they wont flunk out anyone, and apparently they are the cheapest medical school in the entire caribbean.

http://nms.ms

I have no idea who or why anyone would attend here in the absence of IMED approval. So, Cooldreams, you are an MS2, and as it currently stands your school is not eligible to have you sit for a USMLE exam. Kind of a gamble, would you not say? Yes, yes, they "anticipate" having IMED approval within the year.....but, seriously....why would you gamble with your education like that, particularly when so many tried and true options already exist? I am always curious as to why anyone would go to a startup school like this.

BTW: If you ever do get through, and licenced, please, please, don't ever tell your patient that part of your degree was earned by learning over the internet. Apart from being labelled "Dr. Nick", that would be nice bait for some medmal lawyers I would think. I can see it now:

Lawyer: So, "Doctor", would you mind explaining to the jury how the first three semesters of your so-called 'Medical education' was set up?
Jury: gasping in horror while they silently decide you lose the case, irrespective of how frivolous the claim against you may be.

I mean, C"MON DUDE!, an MBA is one thing...an M.D. .....whole nother' ballgame.

really? why was that? for being a low cost school, i didnt really expect a flashy site.

former web developer here

any business that wants to have a serious internet presence will invest in a good website. this looks like a twelve your old made it.

and yes, i've tried it both ways (basic site versus nice web 2.0 site) and it makes a whole lot of difference, at least in the initial impressions of the business

btw i am not commenting on the quality of the school because i honestly don't know, just the site itself

I have no idea who or why anyone would attend here in the absence of IMED approval. So, Cooldreams, you are an MS2, and as it currently stands your school is not eligible to have you sit for a USMLE exam. Kind of a gamble, would you not say? Yes, yes, they "anticipate" having IMED approval within the year.....but, seriously....why would you gamble with your education like that, particularly when so many tried and true options already exist? I am always curious as to why anyone would go to a startup school like this.

BTW: If you ever do get through, and licenced, please, please, don't ever tell your patient that part of your degree was earned by learning over the internet. Apart from being labelled "Dr. Nick", that would be nice bait for some medmal lawyers I would think. I can see it now:

Lawyer: So, "Doctor", would you mind explaining to the jury how the first three semesters of your so-called 'Medical education' was set up?
Jury: gasping in horror while they silently decide you lose the case, irrespective of how frivolous the claim against you may be.

I mean, C"MON DUDE!, an MBA is one thing...an M.D. .....whole nother' ballgame.

Thanks for the advice.

I dunno, I guess going to any medical school is a risk, I thought it was pretty rare that they wont flunk you, and that if you have repeat a semester, its free. So it doesnt sound like they are trying to just make a quick buck. And so far the classes have been pretty good, they were on a much more intense level than my undergrad was. Like a lot more material covered in a shorter timespan.

I was talking with one of them and apparently the instructors are pretty new MDs, but i kinda thought that might be a good thing since they would be more familiar with the USMLE and all.

former web developer here

any business that wants to have a serious internet presence will invest in a good website. this looks like a twelve your old made it.

and yes, i've tried it both ways (basic site versus nice web 2.0 site) and it makes a whole lot of difference, at least in the initial impressions of the business

btw i am not commenting on the quality of the school because i honestly don't know, just the site itself

Man that would have be a pretty smart 14 year old. I dont think I could even make this site. They have a flash movie and pdf forms. Not all of the other schools have that, actually i dont think any have flash. Is flash a bad thing or something??

I thought the online stuff was an ok thing since it is not even half of the time you are studying? I asked the missouri board, and they seemed to indicate that as long as more than 50% was on campus it would probably be ok.

I was surfing on other stuff and I think I read that england actually says the same.

thoughts?

This is mind-boggling that a medical school is doing online stuff, isnt listed with IMED, is located in the Caribbean. First off, a Caribbean med school should be a second choice for any person. If you have the stats you need to try out for a US MD. That said, why would you trust your money with this kind of institution. It's like going to a university that isnt even accredited. On top of that, look at the other med schools in the Caribbean. Even schools like Ross, AUC, and SGU present bumps on the road for students, but investing in a school like Northern is like driving into a brick wall. I would never trust a doctor who is educated through online courses. At least Stewart University is located in the states. You are taking a gamble already by going to the Caribbean in the first place and this school is going to clean you out. Basically I think you are screwed.

Seriously, if you're really enrolled in that school, run away. Run like you've never run before and don't look back. If you want to attend a Caribbean med school, there are much better ones out there, believe me. Places like SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba. Hell, I would take AUA or Spartan any day over this one. The fact that students from your school are ineligible to take the USMLE and that your first 3 semesters consist of online courses says it all.

Mensa member, eh? Right...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

I dunno, I guess going to any medical school is a risk, I thought it was pretty rare that they wont flunk you, and that if you have repeat a semester, its free. So it doesnt sound like they are trying to just make a quick buck. And so far the classes have been pretty good, they were on a much more intense level than my undergrad was. Like a lot more material covered in a shorter timespan.

I was talking with one of them and apparently the instructors are pretty new MDs, but i kinda thought that might be a good thing since they would be more familiar with the USMLE and all.

Yes, going to any caribbean medical school is a risk, which is why forums like this are invaluable to help students understand the risks, and help minimize them by controlling the variables ( ie. can you be licenced in all states, usmle pass rates, school reputation etc.). I truly do wish you the best of luck, but I would advise you to start looking at contingency plans such as possibilities to transfer etc. Perhaps this will all work out for you, and if it does, I think everyone here will be very happy for you,but mainly everyone will be surprised.....very, very surprised, sense being born of experience and whatnot.Keep us posted on licensure issues with the various states, first graduates placements etc. All the best.

makes me glad I'm attending SJSM! LOL

They may not have IMED or much else besides, but they appear to have friends in high places. As I toggle between different pages on their site I occasionally get a momentary banner proclaiming "Jesus is God".

They may not have IMED or much else besides, but they appear to have friends in high places. As I toggle between different pages on their site I occasionally get a momentary banner proclaiming "Jesus is God".
Clearly, they're fishing for the Muslim and Hindu crowd....

Yes, going to any caribbean medical school is a risk, which is why forums like this are invaluable to help students understand the risks, and help minimize them by controlling the variables ( ie. can you be licenced in all states, usmle pass rates, school reputation etc.). I truly do wish you the best of luck, but I would advise you to start looking at contingency plans such as possibilities to transfer etc. Perhaps this will all work out for you, and if it does, I think everyone here will be very happy for you,but mainly everyone will be surprised.....very, very surprised, sense being born of experience and whatnot.Keep us posted on licensure issues with the various states, first graduates placements etc. All the best.

so maybe i should stop going there until they are imed listed? they say that they will be listed in 2009.

so maybe i should stop going there until they are imed listed? they say that they will be listed in 2009.

You'll have to look into it, and see if they'll "grandfather," people from your class in. If not, you'd have to restart from M1 in fall 2009.

If you couldn't get into ANY other IMED Caribbean med schools, why didn't you go to an English language school in Poland? At least they are IMED listed, and according to Pat Park of the med board of Cali, Jagiellonian in Krakow is close to getting approval for grads to practice in California (only 4 Caribbean schools can claim this). Price is cheap, too; I think it's like USD $10,000 per year, and obviously much cheaper to eat and rent property in Poland than the Caribbean.

O.k., but then what are you going to do for the next year and a half, while all the knowledge you have accumulated in MS1 fades from memory? My advice would be to look into transferring to a more reputable school such as Ross, AUC or SABA. SGU requires you to start from scratch. I am not sure if the other three I listed would accept whatever work you have completed. I advise you to contact them/look at their respective websites so that you will be in a better position to proceed.

Ross, AUC, and SABA are all more expensive, true, but in return, you have a secure investment, thousands of graduates who have gone on to do very well, guaranteed eligibility to sit for your USMLE at the end of MS2 following succesful completion of all basic science modules, etc. not to mention the option of going to actual lectures as opposed to learning over the internet.

I would not want you to transfer schools simply because someone on the internet advised you to. You should be looking at this issue as one of great impact on your financial and educational investment, and make your decision accordingly. Investigate all of your options by talking to the various schools advisors. If you make sound decisions now, you can have a solid,rewarding, and respected future in medicine. Best of luck.

You'll have to look into it, and see if they'll "grandfather," people from your class in. If not, you'd have to restart from M1 in fall 2009.

If you couldn't get into ANY other IMED Caribbean med schools, why didn't you go to an English language school in Poland? At least they are IMED listed, and according to Pat Park of the med board of Cali, Jagiellonian in Krakow is close to getting approval for grads to practice in California (only 4 Caribbean schools can claim this). Price is cheap, too; I think it's like USD $10,000 per year, and obviously much cheaper to eat and rent property in Poland than the Caribbean.

Wow really? Is that a good med school? I think living in Poland would be kind of cool.

I cannot believe that you guys are taking this thread seriously.

Well that is understandable since you have no beliefs, and you take nothing seriously :D

Come on, you know that online classes automatically disqualify you from any state medical licensure, right? That means you will NEVER practice in the US with your degree.

That is why this thread is not serious.

Come on, you know that online classes automatically disqualify you from any state medical licensure, right? That means you will NEVER practice in the US with your degree.

Actually, that is not true. They qualify based on the percentage of total basic sciences online. This is the same for other countries such as england.

I did hear of another Caribbean med school which is basically online classes. Its called Internationl Health Sciences University. I believe its in St. Kitts.
Whether or not its graduates are qualified for state licensure I don't know for sure.

I did hear of another Caribbean med school which is basically online classes. Its called Internationl Health Sciences University. I believe its in St. Kitts.
Whether or not its graduates are qualified for state licensure I don't know for sure.

It is written into the rules for getting a license in order to weed out diploma mills. Absolutely no online classes.

cooldreams I hope you make it as an MD someday, but bottom line is you need to run as fast as you can from that school and get urself into any carib school. ANY REGULAR CARIBBEAN MED SCHOOL IS BETTER THAN THAT. YOU JUST DONT/CANT LEARN MEDICINE ONLINE. its unacceptable

Dear all
I am interested in the Stewart school of medicin in california. Does anybody know anybody studied there? I really want to know more about this school but don't know where to get the resources. Please help. Thanks.

Dear all
I am interested in the Stewart school of medicin in california. Does anybody know anybody studied there? I really want to know more about this school but don't know where to get the resources. Please help. Thanks.

Go to www.Iamamoron.com, click on the link entitled "screw me", and then send a cheque for $2,500 to the following address:

Theres a sucker born every minute enterprises,
c/o Bulletproof,
P.O. box 00124,
sacramento,
California,

Also, at this time Stewart University is trying to complete research on its applicant pool. Please be sure to inlude a copy of your drivers licence, social security card, and the numbers with expiration dates of at least two major credit cards. In order to verify that these are in fact credit cards in your possesion we will need the three digit security numbers listed on the back of each card. Thank you for your interest in Stewart University.

Go to www.Iamamoron.com, click on the link entitled "screw me", and then send a cheque for $2,500 to the following address:

Theres a sucker born every minute enterprises,
c/o Bulletproof,
P.O. box 00124,
sacramento,
California,

Also, at this time Stewart University is trying to complete research on its applicant pool. Please be sure to inlude a copy of your drivers licence, social security card, and the numbers with expiration dates of at least two major credit cards. In order to verify that these are in fact credit cards in your possesion we will need the three digit security numbers listed on the back of each card. Thank you for your interest in Stewart University.

Best post of all!!!!

laodam i bet u r jokin but if not u can send me the tuition checks to my bank account and u have the same chance of getting a license with me as much u do with Stewart

Wow really? Is that a good med school? I think living in Poland would be kind of cool.

Yeah, the school's Polish program has a really good reputation. The school's been around since like the year 1350. There's a lot of American's that go there, with a lot of those being Polish-Americans it seems... maybe they already spoke Polish at home so they felt they'd fit in. I think living in Krakow would be awesome too, but the road is definitely more well paved coming from the Caribbean. With a 260 on Step 1 from Poland, though, I'm sure you'd have just as good a shot as something with a 260 from the Caribbean, especially since it is now approved in California.

As a side note, during years 3 & 4 you have to learn Polish, so you can talk to patients during clinicals. That might be a turn off to some. You can probably do 4 months of clinicals in the US as electives in year 4 (is it 4 months? it's the same deal that Puerto Rican students deal with if they want to do some rotations in the US), but I doubt they'd be of much help so you'd have to set that up on your own.

There's two Polish schools that teach in English that allow you to do all your 3rd and 4th year rotations in New York, but they aren't approved in California. I'd stay away from them for this reason alone.