Northwest Community in Arlington Height?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GassedOut12

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Is anyone a W2 there?
How is the work culture?
Case complexity?
Night time cases and support?

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t know any W2 people. But they using a lot of locum people. They can probably comment on the work culture

All I have figured out by talking to a couple people is they run 10 rooms at 3, 4 at 5, and 2 plus OB after 7. They need 22 docs. 4 can be on vacation. 2 are post call. 2 pre call and out earlier. So then we have 14 people and 10 stay til 5 likely. Odds are they putting down 55 hours. Think maybe 8-9 weeks off. But no idea the comp for the time. What’s reasonable?

Members don't see this ad :)
All I have figured out by talking to a couple people is they run 10 rooms at 3, 4 at 5, and 2 plus OB after 7. They need 22 docs. 4 can be on vacation. 2 are post call. 2 pre call and out earlier. So then we have 14 people and 10 stay til 5 likely. Odds are they putting down 55 hours. Think maybe 8-9 weeks off. But no idea the comp for the time. What’s reasonable?

Somehow I doubt that would be the pay. I think only Advocate pays that in IL

It uses (or is going to) a lot of crnas. Don’t know if crna takes call or not. If not, doc is totally fxcked.

No plans for CRNAs to take call that I know. Docs take call. 22 seems like not enough docs for schedule

Why does it need 22 docs? Say it gets 10 crna, 8 working everyday. Only need 2 docs to cover 8 rooms. Nch can also use qz for solo crna.

Why does it need 22 docs? Say it gets 10 crna, 8 working everyday. Only need 2 docs to cover 8 rooms. Nch can also use qz for solo crna.
Endeavor I think does 1:3 but don’t know what kind of cases you supervise. Lot of ORs there. I called. Plus GI and ASC.

So 7-5 no problem. Still not much help for docs after 5 of CRNAs not 12h shift. Plus case type matters. 3 bread and butter. Or crani, spine, and easy one.

Endeavor I think does 1:3 but don’t know what kind of cases you supervise. Lot of ORs there. I called. Plus GI and ASC.

So 7-5 no problem. Still not much help for docs after 5 of CRNAs not 12h shift. Plus case type matters. 3 bread and butter. Or crani, spine, and easy one.

Spines are fine. Usually not that complicated. The usual fiberoptic, art line with certain candidates. Others get glide. Most don't need art lines.

They do lots of pancreatobiliary surgeries with thoracic epidurals for everyone.. like 10 a week.

They also do lots of awake cranis there.. more than academic places. Their neuro guy is Kassam, who the admin have put on a pedestal, and who was promised a state of the art neuro wing which will be built in the next couple years. A lot of the other surgeons seem less enthusiastic about this.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So you supervise 1:3 during the day and then go solo and relieve CRNAs for straggler rooms in the evening? For median (maybe below) pay? Am I missing something or is this just not a very good job?

Reactions: 2 users
So you supervise 1:3 during the day and then go solo and relieve CRNAs for straggler rooms in the evening? For median (maybe below) pay? Am I missing something or is this just not a very good job?
Sounds about right for the suburb of a major (presumably) desirable US city?

Reactions: 1 user
Spines are fine. Usually not that complicated. The usual fiberoptic, art line with certain candidates. Others get glide. Most don't need art lines.

They do lots of pancreatobiliary surgeries with thoracic epidurals for everyone.. like 10 a week.

They also do lots of awake cranis there.. more than academic places. Their neuro guy is Kassam, who the admin have put on a pedestal, and who was promised a state of the art neuro wing which will be built in the next couple years. A lot of the other surgeons seem less enthusiastic about this.

The usual fiberoptic? I don't remember the last time I used one for a spine

Reactions: 2 users
What do you do for epiglottitis, angioedema, Ludwig's angina, obstructing base of tongue or hypopharyngeal tumors +/- neck irradiation?
I did a glide for epiglottitis in the ICU and immediately regretted it when I went in and saw the image. Ended up tubing just fine though.

What do you do for epiglottitis, angioedema, Ludwig's angina, obstructing base of tongue or hypopharyngeal tumors +/- neck irradiation?
Haven't seen one bad enough I couldn't intubate with dl or video (for the record I'm a very mediocre anesthesiologist not one of the superstars on this forum). I would think those situations have too much edema to permit any good views with a fiberoptic. Are we talking about maintaining spont vs nmb or method of intubation in those scenarios?

Haven't seen one bad enough I couldn't intubate with dl or video (for the record I'm a very mediocre anesthesiologist not one of the superstars on this forum). I would think those situations have too much edema to permit any good views with a fiberoptic. Are we talking about maintaining spont vs nmb or method of intubation in those scenarios?
you don’t see enough pathology then.

I've seen one airway bad enough to merit an awake fiber/glide after the patient was put on vv ecmo

But the point is to keep them spontaneously breathing to avoid burning bridges. Some airways are just horrible

I've seen one airway bad enough to merit an awake fiber/glide after the patient was put on vv ecmo

But the point is to keep them spontaneously breathing to avoid burning bridges. Some airways are just horrible
Shouldn’t the VV ECMO cover all the oxygenation? Why do awake?

Reactions: 1 user
450-500k for ?hours per week? Calls?
Base is 430-450. Unknown. Calls I think 6.5 a month. There is some point system. I don’t know the incentives to make more. It would make sense if someone would just put it out there in open. If the system is good, why hide the numbers

Base is 430-450. Unknown. Calls I think 6.5 a month. There is some point system. I don’t know the incentives to make more. It would make sense if someone would just put it out there in open. If the system is good, why hide the numbers

6.5 calls? Are these 1st calls or mainly late calls done by 5, 7pm?

450k for these amount of calls is ultra ridiculous!

I think 4-5 weekdays as OB 24, OR 5-7, or backup 24. And then 1 24 and 12 on weekends. Yeah seems like a lot. It was modeled after old group who worked pretty hard sounds like. I asked other people near home and said hospital shafted whole group in negotiations so 30+? Docs walked. Seems like they running it tight to keep margins up. Unfortunate it’s based on a lean old model. I think it only works if you live 5-10 min away

Old group worked 55h+ to cover everything. New system wants docs to work the same. Add in CRNAs to cover more rooms. It’s like an AMC model. Just 1:3 and not 1:6. Still screwing the docs but not like Northstar.

The Elmhurst and Edward folks should demand better hours under 50 rather than think they are working the norm. They need to figure out how many docs they really need before any acquisition. I’m guessing it’s more than 25 at any spot unless they like being burned out.

If you take more than 1 call per week, reanalyze your life. Stop feelin proud that you saw nobody in the real world all week. Workhorses with tunnel vision

Maybe new grads? I can’t see that schedule turning out good if docs do all the calls and not enough 7pm CRNAs.