Northwestern 2ndary deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bertz413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those applying to Northwestern, did anyone get the secondary stating that the deadline is due in August for the secondary app and LOR's? The MSAR says deadline is 11/15/2006.
I wasn't sure how/why they could bump this up so early...
I am an august MCATer....so I am not sure what the hurry is...
any info. would be great! Thanks!
:idea:

(yes, i looked at SDN for this info. already...)

Members don't see this ad.

bertz413 said:
For those applying to Northwestern, did anyone get the secondary stating that the deadline is due in August for the secondary app and LOR's? The MSAR says deadline is 11/15/2006.
I wasn't sure how/why they could bump this up so early...
I am an august MCATer....so I am not sure what the hurry is...
any info. would be great! Thanks!
:idea:

(yes, i looked at SDN for this info. already...)

yea, i got it today and it's due 8/14

thanks, alma mater

sbs152 said:
yea, i got it today and it's due 8/14

thanks, alma mater

what? did they make a mistake? i haven't even been verified yet! and I have gotten the secondary...

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: My LOR's are not ready yet....almost, but definately not yet. This is not good...ahhh...even more stress before the MCAT! Just lovely!

bertz413 said:
:eek: My LOR's are not ready yet....almost, but definately not yet. This is not good...ahhh...even more stress before the MCAT! Just lovely!

are you going to call them up to ask?

They are allowed to self impose deadlines.

the deadline begins when you recieve the e-mail. So yes, you do have to get it in in 2 weeks. They like to pressure you for those 3 big essays...

Now the deadline on the LORs is a little less stringent (I know from past years), but you have to contact the office and let them know they'll be late.

Iamdumb said:
are you going to call them up to ask?

I just sent them an email. I will call if I don;t hear back from them...I still need to wake up and get caffeine before I make a phone call.

If/when I hear back,.....I will definately post their reply!

Depakote said:
They are allowed to self impose deadlines.

the deadline begins when you recieve the e-mail. So yes, you do have to get it in in 2 weeks. They like to pressure you for those 3 big essays...

Now the deadline on the LORs is a little less stringent (I know from past years), but you have to contact the office and let them know they'll be late.

THANK YOU DEPAKOTE! I feel a little bit better now...still stressed, but better! :smuggrin:

From my last year experience, all you have to do is

1) send in your secondary (the actual essays) by the end of the two-week deadline. Some were having trouble submitting it the midnight of the deadline due to some computer/network problem and the dates (that showed up in the online website) got confused. In the end, it was fine but if you want less hassle, don't do it till the very very last minute.

2) If your LORs / MCAT / or whatever cannot get in before the two-week deadline, just email / call them so that they won't be expecting all your stuff ready by the deadline. They know that LORs are out of your control so they don't really care if you cannot submit the LORs in time.

HOWEVER, I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you submit your essays before the deadline!!

hanjoko said:
From my last year experience, all you have to do is

1) send in your secondary (the actual essays) by the end of the two-week deadline. Some were having trouble submitting it the midnight of the deadline due to some computer/network problem and the dates (that showed up in the online website) got confused. In the end, it was fine but if you want less hassle, don't do it till the very very last minute.

2) If your LORs / MCAT / or whatever cannot get in before the two-week deadline, just email / call them so that they won't be expecting all your stuff ready by the deadline. They know that LORs are out of your control so they don't really care if you cannot submit the LORs in time.

HOWEVER, I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you submit your essays before the deadline!!

Thank you hanjoko!!!! Congrats on getting into Northwestern! I really wish I could go there! :luck:

Iamdumb said:

Like Depakote said, the deadline is totally dependent on when they contact you and grant you access to the secondary. Their two-week deadline doesn't begin until you're given access, so there's no need to stress about it. They explain it in the email that grants you access. You get three weeks to get your letters of recommendation to them.

However, on top of these two-week deadlines that everyone receives, the overall deadline after which they will no longer receive your application is that deadline that someone else noted from the MSAR. (If they send the email to you very near that deadline and give you access to their secondary, however, you will be given a full two weeks no matter what, if I'm not mistaken).

Just to soothe a few nerves. This is My e-mail and their response from last year:

7/24/05

Hello,

Today I received my secondary application. The due date for my
application and my committee letter is August 7th. I can easilly have
the application complete by then, but I have spoken to my Pre-medical
Advisor and he has informed me that he will not be able to send my
letters until at least August 8th. Is it possible to have the deadline
for the letters extended?

Thank you,

Depakote
AMCAS ID

-------------------------

Dear Depakote:

Please ask your recommenders to send the letters as soon as possible,
and they will be accepted whenever they are received in our office. You
do not need to request a recommendation extension in order for your
recommendations to be accepted after the due date.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
Feinberg School of Medicine
Northwestern University

EDIT: So, I guess technically you don't need to request the extension, but I still would.
EDIT #2: the date of their reply was 07/25/05

Thank you again for all your input!!!

Good luck to all in this (beeping) process! :luck:

I do know that NW really likes it if you take the April MCAT

Zymogen said:

Most places prefer it.

I'm sure they accept plenty of August MCATers. I'm not trying to scare anyone. Just like looque said, most schools prefer the April MCAT.