Northwestern and Pitt -- Last minute thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.LeoSpaceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my list set, but this is the one decision that's bugging me. Anyone have any insight?

Assume geography isn't a factor. Each place has it's advantages, and they ultimately even out (Chicago is more exciting to live in, Pitt is much closer to home for me).

I know that Pitt would definitely be the choice if I were going based on reputation/clinical experience. But it's my impression that while NU might not be at that same level, it's still very strong, to the point that I'm not closing any doors career-wise.

The thing that NU seems to have going for it is that the residents seemed quite happy.

Members don't see this ad.

I have my list set, but this is the one decision that's bugging me. Anyone have any insight?

Assume geography isn't a factor. Each place has it's advantages, and they ultimately even out (Chicago is more exciting to live in, Pitt is much closer to home for me).

I know that Pitt would definitely be the choice if I were going based on reputation/clinical experience. But it's my impression that while NU might not be at that same level, it's still very strong, to the point that I'm not closing any doors career-wise.

The thing that NU seems to have going for it is that the residents seemed quite happy.

You identify 3 factors, presumably the are important to you
1) geography
2) quality of training
3) quality of life.

You assess one issue as a tie, one favors program A, another favors program B. Dunno that we can help you out much. You need to decide whether #2 or #3 is more important to you.

All I would say is that it's still a crapshoot. Realize that you don't know what you're in for and that you need to focus on thriving wherever you land.

Competition might be one factor. NW has to compete with Pritzker, Loyola, and a bunch of places for cases and traumas. Pitt is pretty much the only game in town in western PA. Personally I would still choose NW because it's in a nice area in Chicago and the hospital looks like a 4 star hotel. Not the best reasons, but whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for NU...but maybe I'm biased. :D