Northwestern Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guavas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because the deadline to hold multiple acceptances was yesterday, I'm sure a lot of these comparison threads will be popping up from waitlisters who have made it off and need to make a decision ASAP.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea regarding the quality of molecular neuroscience research at Northwestern. I'm having a hard time getting a feel for it because my mentors are in a completely different field, and have not been able to give me comprehensive advice on the programs I am considering.

How does NU compare to Minnesota in this regard?

My hope is to work on neurodegenerative diseases or neural development possibly. I'm pretty open, but I do know that I want to be doing research from a genetics/molecular biology perspective.

Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone knows specific PIs at NU or Minnesota who seem to be doing good work, I would love to hear about them too.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about neuroscience, but I had a friend from college go through UMinn's molecular PhD program. He turned down some top schools because of UMinn's opportunities for research and for students to take the lead on projects, and he was very happy in their program. I can't speak to Northwestern, though. I would imagine they would have excellent opportunities, as well--just don't know anyone going through that one...

I've heard neuro wasn't as strong at Northwestern compared to other things such as BME or genetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look up the faculty who you'd be interested in working with and look at their publication records. Maybe the people at Northwestern or Minnesota have a group of rock stars in your field of interest. I wouldn't judge an entire school department because they are filled with a lot of ppl you don't have any interest in anyways

thanks for the advice, decision made!