Northwestern vs Rainbow Babies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am trying to figure out my rank list and I am looking for some other people's perspective on Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago (Northwestern) and Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland (Case Western).

I think I liked the Rainbow program better, but Northwestern is more geographically pleasing. Any advice or suggestions regarding your thoughts on either of these programs and why you would rank one program above another would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

scholes said:
I am trying to figure out my rank list and I am looking for some other people's perspective on Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago (Northwestern) and Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland (Case Western).

I think I liked the Rainbow program better, but Northwestern is more geographically pleasing. Any advice or suggestions regarding your thoughts on either of these programs and why you would rank one program above another would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMO there isn't such a great difference between the two to compensate for living in Cleveland

Having lived in both places, Chicago is a far more awesome city...but, if you have alot of debt, and don't have time to socialize, Cleveland is 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper! You can live like a King on a resident's salary in Cleve. & if you have kids, the public schools are pretty good and it will not cost you as much to live in a nice area. Also, both suck in the weather dept. Chicago blustery cold- Cleveland-enormous amts of snow- so get yourself a good car!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both programs, and personally I am ranking Rainbow ahead of CMH for the following reasons

-Rainbow seemed more resident friendly (more vacation time, really cool program director, lounge stocked with frozen food!)

-The hospital. I know facilities shouldn't play a role in choosing your program but I was really impressed with the hospital especially since they are renovating the NICU and ER

-Cost of living. You really could live like a king in Cleveland

-International Health Programs. Even though I don't think I will do international pediatrics as a career I think it's cool Rainbow has that option

Cons of course are
-Cleveland, but it doesn't seem like a bad place and I have family there. I do think if you're single, it could be tough

Any opinions on Rainbow vs. Cinci? I'd also appreciate comparisons to UChicago (rather than Children's Memorial) and Pitt, since all are pretty academic standalone hospitals. Location-wise I know I'd prefer Chicago, but I'm also curious how people would rank the other three cities. Thanks! :)

Is there anything spefcific about Northwestern that anyone else likes besides the fact that is in Chicago?

Is there anything spefcific about Northwestern that anyone else likes besides the fact that is in Chicago?

That's a good question. I felt the strong points of NU are

-very strong program, you'll get a good training and will get a good fellowship
-impressive morning report, FIRM rounds, lots of teaching
-diverse patient population

For me personally, I felt that CMH residents, though very nice, appeared more competitive than in other programs. I didn't get as much sense of camarederie at CMH.

Apollyon said:
I thought the public schools sucked SO bad, that the US Dept of Education came in and took things over. What I'd heard was that everything about the city EXCEPT the schools was getting better.

This is true, Cleveland city schools are in some serious trouble. However, some of the surrounding communities have excellent public schools.

i'm a student at univ of chicago and can say most emphatically that i LOVE the peds program here. there is a very warm, friendly, collegial environment amongst the residents and most attendings. educational conferences are all excellent and extremely well-attended because it's expected that all residents go. you get to work with an underserved population, being on the southside of chicago, plus you have the chronic care at La Rabida. the balance is wonderful.

the new comer children's hospital is beautiful and everyone, including the ancillary staff, is happy and proud to work there.