Not all people are light skinned - derm pictures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caboose

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! It came up in my CPD derm class that most of the pictures of skin disorders are of light-skinned individuals. I was wondering if there was a good picture bank online for derm conditions that includes a well-rounded population. I'd like to see things from all angles, you know?

So there, I wondered. :)

Thanks
Caboose.

Members don't see this ad.

This question is nothing that a very simple Google search, search on Amazon, etc could not answer -- but yeah, they are out there. Now I don't mean that quite as harsh as it sounds, but if you want to be successful (read not simply an employee to an entitiy within the system) your very thought processes and approach to dealing with things needs to change -- never ask of someone what you can readily find for yourself, never put something that needs to be done off til tomorrow what can be done today, etc.

As to the reason why you mostly see white skin -- demographics and logistics. Skin disease often relies upon subtle clues, color changes, erythema, etc. It can be very difficult to appreciate in person with good lighting, much less in a photograph. Many of these changes (particularly subtle vascular and inflammation influenced color changes) are extremely difficult to appreciate in ethnic skin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the 2 cents. Google is a good friend of mine, but I thought I'd try asking for a nice, clean site not found in my searching. I gather a slew of information for my classmates and I don't like to reinvent the wheel. I don't find that asking for resources or direction is a fault in character, but rather a strategy for efficiency. Rationally, I don't have the time to type this.

Anyway, thanks again for taking your time to write back.

Caboose.