1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Not being able to take large course loads= not qualified to be a doc? or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drakkan2001, Mar 18, 2004.

1. drakkan2001

drakkan2001 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

for the past few semesters i've been trying to take 17/18 credits but decided that it was too tough for me, so I almost always drop a 2 or 3 cred/point class. Even after taking on this new courseload, there is a lot of work but I also have much more time to breathe/sleep/ and enjoy time to myself. I don't really have any true extracurriculars besides working hard at my lab work For those of you who have gotten into med school, do you think that I will be poor applicant because I can't "handle" the workload? I have pretty decent grades in my classes, almost all A's in the science classes (orgo, physics, chem, biochem), but I feel that not being able to take 18/19/20 credits will hurt me in the long run. Thanks for any advice.

-Won

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

I took some two tough semesters (18-21) points my first two semesters but after that it was always 16 or less. For most of junior and senior year, I was working in a lab too (every day practically). I got in to med school and I was never asked about it at all. If you do really well in your classes and you have the lab work to do as well, you should have no problems.

4. twinklz

twinklz Lover of Lagomorphs
    7+ Year Member

I don't think any adcoms would fault you for it, but you need to remember that you're not going to be able to drop classes in med school. I think its more of a concern as to whether you think you can handle it not whether the med schools think you can handle it.

5. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    15 units a semester is normal man. the amt of units you take does not equate what kind of doctor you will become.

dont worry about little things like this. just do well in your classes and take care of your body.

6. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

You'd be surprised what you're capable of when you have no choice in the matter. I think 18 credits is harder to do when you have the option of dropping a class or two. But when you've invested tens of thousands of dollars and now you don't have the choice of dropping classes, you'll do what you have to to make it through each semester.

I could barely handle 15 credits in undergrad and now I'm doing almost double that. You get used to the workload. I wouldn't worry about it.