Not being realistic... maybe..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRoVBeS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I want to start by saying that I am in deep problems. I dont even know myself what I am going to do at this point.
I am currenlty a Junior majoring in Biology/Premedicine. I have been on probation for two consecutive semesters and I am now fearing a dismissal from the university.
The reason I have done so bad in school and go from a straight A student, to someone whocan barely get a C, is because my family and I came to the US 6 years ago and I have had to work extra hard so we would have everything we needed. My mom and dad do not know the language very well so they cant have the jobs they used to have back in my homecountry. Not realizing what I was doing made me end up like this.
I have been talking to the dean of undergrad admission at the univ. and he only advised me to wait for the letter and once i get the letter with the dismissal notice, appeal it and hope for another chance maybe.
Now my question is this, should I wait for the notice without doing anything or try to apply this other non-private school and finish up whatever I have left over there.
I have talked to family members and what I have heard was mainly "you cannot get to med school, you wont make it, be realistic etc etc."
Becoming a physician has been a dream of mine since I was little, but sometimes life doesnt go the way we want it to go and I dont want to give up without using all the cards I have.
My current GPA is 1.8 :( and if i study hard, and stop working full-time third shift, i might be able to get it higher.
Any suggestions guys? I am desperate for an advice :cry:.
I dont want to let go of everything right now and think of myself as a failure...
ANy advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think no matter what, you have to not do any more damage. The more hours you take with bad grades, the harder it will be to improve your GPA. Maybe you should take some time to get your situation straight, then go back to school and make sure you get all A's. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but if you want to be a physician at some point, you're going to have to really improve your grades. Make sure you're in the best position to do that.

I agree with the above. Consider dropping out for now, get your life in order for a few years, then come back when you know you can get killer grades and prove you have what it takes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have considered this option but I dont want to waste time even more. I believe I can do it if I only stop working that much and especially third shift.
Plus it would be such a shock for my parents if I consider dropping out right now.
I appreciate your advices guys, and I wish you all the best life has to offer. ALso congrats on what you have achieved so far.

Don't put yourself in a financial situation either where you may have to drop-out mid-semester in order to pay bills. Make sure when you sign up for classes again, you're going to get A's. This is very important. And if you're still on 3rd shift full-time and you have a test tomorrow, "just get it done." That was always my motto when I didn't feel like studying or going to class or shadowing or volunteering. Just get it done man :) I wish you luck.

You have to be honest with yourself. Staying in school does not equate to getting an education, and with a sub 2.0 GPA, it doesn't seem like you've learned very much. What's the point of being in school if you haven't gotten an education?

You should seriously consider putting your schooling on hold until you can actually focus on school without all of the other legitimate worries you have.

I have considered this option but I dont want to waste time even more. I believe I can do it if I only stop working that much and especially third shift.
Plus it would be such a shock for my parents if I consider dropping out right now.
I appreciate your advices guys, and I wish you all the best life has to offer. ALso congrats on what you have achieved so far.

it's not wasting time. wasting time would be more semesters of <C's. you have plenty of time in the world being a junior in college.

Any suggestions guys? I am desperate for an advice :cry:.
I dont want to let go of everything right now and think of myself as a failure...
ANy advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hey, so I write a form of this story every so often, and I'm almost a psychiatrist and a known softie, so I'm going to write it again.
I'm 31. I started MS at 27. I graduated college at 23, after taking 2.5 years off due to excessive personal hardships. Suffice it to say I was immature, reckless, overworked and therefore seriously incompetent gradewise and emotionally. It was excruciating to leave school and stop moving towards my dreams. It was full stop. After I got over being angry and feeling like a colossal failure, I worked to afford going to school while taking care of my family and then after graduating, worked some more.

My advice is to do what you fear most: let it go. Completely. Choose. Decide. Walk away from the complicated mess of your grades vs. your personal responsibilities. Even for a year, maybe 2: you will grow and learn and change and return a more resilient person, and hopefully a more resilient student. The neat part is that the dream waits for you. Medical school will still be here.

This is easy for me to say and paralyzing for you, I can imagine. But remember that what you do before medical school is what makes you the best applicant and doctor, ultimately, and in reality it has nothing to do with grades, scores, or volunteer work. Anyone who tells you it begins and ends with a certain score or GPA is lying. There are enough medical schools out there for the most diverse kinds of students. So be fearless. You are not a failure for ending a struggle; you are a failure if you break yourself in half for nothing.

hey, so i write a form of this story every so often, and i'm almost a psychiatrist and a known softie, so i'm going to write it again.
I'm 31. I started ms at 27. I graduated college at 23, after taking 2.5 years off due to excessive personal hardships. Suffice it to say i was immature, reckless, overworked and therefore seriously incompetent gradewise and emotionally. It was excruciating to leave school and stop moving towards my dreams. It was full stop. After i got over being angry and feeling like a colossal failure, i worked to afford going to school while taking care of my family and then after graduating, worked some more.

My advice is to do what you fear most: Let it go. Completely. Choose. Decide. Walk away from the complicated mess of your grades vs. Your personal responsibilities. Even for a year, maybe 2: You will grow and learn and change and return a more resilient person, and hopefully a more resilient student. The neat part is that the dream waits for you. Medical school will still be here.

This is easy for me to say and paralyzing for you, i can imagine. But remember that what you do before medical school is what makes you the best applicant and doctor, ultimately, and in reality it has nothing to do with grades, scores, or volunteer work. Anyone who tells you it begins and ends with a certain score or gpa is lying. There are enough medical schools out there for the most diverse kinds of students. So be fearless. You are not a failure for ending a struggle; you are a failure if you break yourself in half for nothing.

thank you!!