Not being thorough enough on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr.mkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently filling out secondaries, and I'm curious how students ask people to look over theirs and revise them (both for content and grammar).

I'm just curious and would love to hear others opinions; since from what Ive heard, secondaries do not need to be done exquisitely like that of your personal statement.. but still.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I'm currently filling out secondaries, and I'm curious how students ask people to look over theirs and revise them (both for content and grammar).

2. I'm just curious and would love to hear others opinions; since from what Ive heard, secondaries do not need to be done exquisitely like that of your personal statement.. but still.

1. "Will you proofread my secondary application essays, please?"

2. Word counts should be a way to gauge the level of detail detailed.

Reactions: 1 user
1. "Will you proofread my secondary application essays, please?"

2. Word counts should be a way to gauge the level of detail detailed.
Alright I meant to put how MANY people ask others to look over their essays. My mistake

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely ask people to look them over, but I am sort of a terrible writer. I would advise at least getting a second look for grammar and readability.

I definitely don't go through as many rounds of revisions for secondaries as I did for the primary... but these are questions schools are asking for a reason so they are going to be read.

ugh I have been doing them since July and no end in sight...I am planning to do 20 more :dead:

I definitely ask people to look them over, but I am sort of a terrible writer. I would advise at least getting a second look for grammar and readability.

I definitely don't go through as many rounds of revisions for secondaries as I did for the primary... but these are questions schools are asking for a reason so they are going to be read.

ugh I have been doing them since July and no end in sight...I am planning to do 20 more :dead:
Thanks for the reply!

I had many, many revisions of my primary essay - I even scrapped it and started over twice.

With thirty secondaries, I couldn't do this for every single secondary essay. I had each essay reviewed for grammar and content once. The basic essays that could be used repeatedly (greatest challenge, what have you been up to, diversity) I had reviewed two or three times.

I'm lucky though - my girlfriend is also applying to medical school, and she's an amazing grammar editor. So we reviewed eachother's essays.

Reactions: 1 users
just remember that not all secondaries need to be a work of literary art. Some just need you to answer concisely and clearly.

Med schools know you are applying 20+ schools and all the secondaries sound the same :p

just remember that not all secondaries need to be a work of literary art. Some just need you to answer concisely and clearly.
Is this a fair assumption for the 100 word essays?

Is this a fair assumption for the 100 word essays?

It's almost a travesty to call that an "essay." 100 words is 1-2 paragraphs max. I'd say it's fair to assume that you should make your response concise and straightforward...unless you want to respond in Haiku.

Reactions: 1 user