Not enough money...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottyhoop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people ever not go to dental school because their school did not give them enough financial aid? I haven't gotten my package yet, but I'm hoping to borrow pretty much the full cost of attendance. I'm not overly worried, but it did make me wonder if it does happen to people. If your school doesn't offer you the full amount, is that when you turn to private lenders?

Scotty

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'll be going to VCU in 2 years too! If you don't mind telling me, how much do the graduate years cost there? And btw I thought almost everyone took out loans for grad school, including private loans, positive that they can pay it off after graduation?

I'm taking out the max amount here at VCU for my little family, if anyone knows how to borrow more than the school's Cost Of Attendance, lemme know! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'll be going to VCU in 2 years too! If you don't mind telling me, how much do the graduate years cost there? And btw I thought almost everyone took out loans for grad school, including private loans, positive that they can pay it off after graduation?

Current tuition/fees info:
Picture1.png

I'm taking out the max amount here at VCU for my little family, if anyone knows how to borrow more than the school's Cost Of Attendance, lemme know! ;)

I'm hoping to take the max too Lurch since I have a family as well...I'm hoping to get my aid package soon so I can stop thinking about it! I heard that we are supposed to get it in the next week or so.

Scotty

I'm hoping to take the max too Lurch since I have a family as well...I'm hoping to get my aid package soon so I can stop thinking about it! I heard that we are supposed to get it in the next week or so.

Scotty
Seems like the Finaid office here is a little slow. I don't think I got my aid package until about mid August last year! Good luck.

Seems like the Finaid office here is a little slow. I don't think I got my aid package until about mid August last year! Good luck.

Yeah...I haven't heard anything from them yet. I'll feel better when i get something from them. Even a "we'll be in touch" would suffice!

Scotty

Get all the financial aid you can from the school then go to your local bank and take out another private student loan... I know they dont want you to do that, but it's not like you have a lot of choice with a family...

Get all the financial aid you can from the school then go to your local bank and take out another private student loan... I know they dont want you to do that, but it's not like you have a lot of choice with a family...
How do you take out a private student loan when the school is giving you the max "Cost of Attendance"? We have no income and what I would call avg/above avg credit scores. No cosigners either.

How do you take out a private student loan when the school is giving you the max "Cost of Attendance"? We have no income and what I would call avg/above avg credit scores. No cosigners either.

tell them you're going to be a dentist. my father in law's a banker and said that banks love giving dentists loans cuz they know they'll get paid back.

tell them you're going to be a dentist. my father in law's a banker and said that banks love giving dentists loans cuz they know they'll get paid back.
Maybe I need a new bank then. :D I know that's how it used to be, but supposedly this current financial climate is not very cool for lending...

Thanks. Not bad especially compared to NYU, which is in my favorite city. Ah well. In-state it is.

WOW!!!!

I was I was a Virgina resident in dental school!!!!

DO not pass that up!!!

I will tell you one thing. I did go to a private school and I did get a much better education than at my state school (as told to me by interviewing dentist), but to be honest one year in private practice and we are equal.

I have an edge, but it isn't worth $100k+. I regret not going to my state school and choosing to go to a "big city" school :(

Not even close to worth it.

Go to the cheapest school. Get a License to be "dangerous" and let the learning begin :D

WOW!!!!

I was I was a Virgina resident in dental school!!!!

DO not pass that up!!!

I will tell you one thing. I did go to a private school and I did get a much better education than at my state school (as told to me by interviewing dentist), but to be honest one year in private practice and we are equal.

I have an edge, but it isn't worth $100k+. I regret not going to my state school and choosing to go to a "big city" school :(

Not even close to worth it.

Go to the cheapest school. Get a License to be "dangerous" and let the learning begin :D

have to point out that this is similar pricing to other in-state schools. That breakdown does not include housing/living costs. Just tuition/books for $28k is around what at least OSU is, but they offer you $45k a year once those are tacked on

...they offer you $45k a year once those are tacked on
Wow. I wish that was all I was borrowing! I didn't have the option of a state school, and the schools I got into were pretty similar in tuition. Cost of living here in Richmond is the highest of those, but it's also the nicest place to live :cool:.

Cost for out of state is now over $44,000. Out of state went up $6,000/yr and instate went up $3,000/yr. I also haven't heard from financial aid so I'm glad we are in the same boat.

Cost for out of state is now over $44,000. Out of state went up $6,000/yr and instate went up $3,000/yr. I also haven't heard from financial aid so I'm glad we are in the same boat.

Glad I'm not the only waiting to hear about money...it's getting close and I imagine it's not a terribly fast process to find more money if needed. Hopefully we will hear in the next few days.

Scotty