Not entering how I paid for undergrad in AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandaeac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the AMCAS application, it is only listed as optional to give the breakdown of how your undergraduate was paid for (the section where you put percentages in for 'loans,' 'scholarships, 'personal contribution," etc) Will it be a red flag if I choose not to answer this question?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In the AMCAS application, it is only listed as optional to give the breakdown of how your undergraduate was paid for (the section where you put percentages in for 'loans,' 'scholarships, 'personal contribution," etc) Will it be a red flag if I choose not to answer this question?

Thanks!

If its optional I think you should be fine. I personally filled it out.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

AMCAS will just assume drug dealing or prostitution if you don't mark anything.

(No, it won't be a red flag. Don't worry.)

Lol why wouldn't you fill it out? Are you ashamed your parents paid, or of how you made the money to pay?

Lol why wouldn't you fill it out? Are you ashamed your parents paid, or of how you made the money to pay?

Being out of school for a while, I don't exactly have access to all of the financial aid letters and bank statements that let me construct the exact percentages by which my schooling was paid for. I would rather just be honest and not put anything, than try to guesstimate it or spend a day calling financial aid departments demanding figures from 11 years ago.

Being out of school for a while, I don't exactly have access to all of the financial aid letters and bank statements that let me construct the exact percentages by which my schooling was paid for. I would rather just be honest and not put anything, than try to guesstimate it or spend a day calling financial aid departments demanding figures from 11 years ago.

.... I literally just guessed. Took me 5 seconds.

Pretty sure that's just for demographic/statistical info. No need to fill it out and no penalty to leave it blank.

Exactly my reasoning! Thank you

I don't really believe the admissions committees will care if you

1. worked a job your entire time
2. your parents were rich and paid for everything
3. you took loans or had a part time job, or a combination of both
4. athletic scholarships
5. academic scholarships
6. arts scholarship
7. leadership scholarship

In some of those cases, you might be looked favorably.

I would be concerned if you did anything illegal like sell illicit drugs, prostititution, or worked at a strip club, or anything with questionable morality in those conservative minds. In those cases, I would have just put parents paid or I took a loan.