Not getting As on Pre-req courses

Started by jillzhou
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jillzhou

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've received mixed responses from people I've talked to. Some people tell me that getting all Bs on pre-req courses=you're not fit for medicine. At the moment the only pre-req I manage to pull of As in was Physics. For some reason bio and chem went poorly for me (I go to a pretty tough science school). I did however do better on my major pertaining science classes (pulled off an A in Neuroscience). So am I really screwd if most of my pre-med reqs have Bs? I know it doesn't look good, but if I took it at a state school I could have hoped for that A 🙁
 
time to look at the Caribbean.


JK, it's too early to tell. If it's a problem, study more or study smarter. What you get out of school is what you put in.
 
Grades are a very small part of your application. All B's is not good, as a 3.0 average wont do anything for you. Half A's and half B's will land you a 3.5 and get you in at a couple places with a strong rest of an application. All A's and a few B's in prereq's will land you at a 3.8+ and compeitive for any school you want.

Don't worry about it. Even a C here or there in organic chem or an upper level bio, no body cares as long as you're supplementing it with other activities and strong course work in other classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Straight B's isn't good, but it isn't the end of the world either (as long as you have a pretty good cGPA from other classes). What you need to do now is take some upper division science courses and pull mostly A's. Then you have to do well on the MCAT. It doesn't put you in the clear, but being able to show improvement will be a big boost to your app.

And getting some good ECs (research, more unique ECs) will help you stand out even more.

Grades are a very small part of your application. ...

Wut.
 
From what I've seen, grades and MCAT are like 75% of an adcom's decision. They are the most objective measures of success in applicants.
 
Yea I'd say grades are everything (also must consider the major/institution the grades were earned at).
 
Grades are a very small part of your application. All B's is not good, as a 3.0 average wont do anything for you. Half A's and half B's will land you a 3.5 and get you in at a couple places with a strong rest of an application. All A's and a few B's in prereq's will land you at a 3.8+ and compeitive for any school you want.

Don't worry about it. Even a C here or there in organic chem or an upper level bio, no body cares as long as you're supplementing it with other activities and strong course work in other classes.

I read this at a really good time. I am a 90% A 10% B student and I just bombed my first Biochem exam. I am hoping a C would be excusable considering biochem is about as hard as it gets.

Unless of course you were just being nice.............😕
 
Honestly, what's the point of stressing over what's said and done? Do your best from here on out. If you're looking for an excuse not to apply (namely, poor grades on your pre-requisite coursework), you will undoubtedly find it. But if you're intent on becoming a physician, your best bet is to focus on what you need to do next to make yourself as strong an applicant as possible.
 
I read this at a really good time. I am a 90% A 10% B student and I just bombed my first Biochem exam. I am hoping a C would be excusable considering biochem is about as hard as it gets.

Unless of course you were just being nice.............😕

This is the type of scenario I was referencing above. No one cares if you have a few random outsiders. What matters is the bulk of the course work. Everyone falters one place or another, and quite frankly if you didn't you might get a couple second glances with adcoms trying to figure out if you are a pretentious perfectionist pre-med (which no one likes) or a physician material student preparing for medical school and distributing their time to activities other than just course work.

I said course work was small part of your application because everyone has a decent GPA. The only real strength is the EC's which set you apart. Most people are average MCAT/GPA applicants, but either excel in EC or falter thereby deciding your admissions decision. Compare all your medical school stats, I bet the only that really differences is the EC's. 30+ MCAT 3.7+ GPA...welcome to the club.
 
If you dont have the grades you wont get the interview (always exceptions - everyone claims to know "a guy" who got in with a 3.1 who was super involved).

If you have below a 3.5 and less then a 30 on the MCAT just get ready for a rough cycle that ends with a DO acceptance.
 
Last edited:
If you dont have the grades you wont get the interview (always exceptions - everyone claims to know "a guy" who got in with a 3.1 who was super involved).

If you have below a 3.5 and less then a 30 on the MCAT just get ready for a rough cycle that ends with a DO acceptance.

Right but irrelevant to the OPs question. He probably has above a 3.8 and the only issue is a few decent grades in pre-req's. Again I wouldn't worry about it. There has been people before you who have gotten straight C's on pre-req material and supplemented it with a decent overall cGPA.

You're fine, just keep doing your best.
 
If you dont have the grades you wont get the interview (always exceptions - everyone claims to know "a guy" who got in with a 3.1 who was super involved).

If you have below a 3.5 and less then a 30 on the MCAT just get ready for a rough cycle that ends with a DO acceptance.

Why do you say that? Are you one of those kids that thinks DOs are inferior or something?
 
I think you're okay. I haven't done great on my prereqs either (B/C Bio, Bs GChem, A/B+ Orgo, B/havent taken yet physics, B+/A- calc), but my overall is average and I have done well in some upper level science courses. Just remember that for people like us who didn't do so hot in their prereqs, the MCAT will be a true indicator of how well you can master the material supposedly(my VR/BS were nearly identical, I used previous knowledge for maybe 25% of the BS total, rest was all VR style =\), so shoot for a 30+ and you'll be okay.

Good luck and remember that reflecting on the past isn't going to help your future(unless you get pissed and start studying like a madman, which would be brilliant)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't worry about it. Just do well in the rest of your courses and the MCAT. I have all As in my major (engineering), almost straight Bs in my pre-med rereqs, and a good MCAT. I haven't been asked about the Bs at a single interview. As long as you show on the MCAT that you do know the material, you'll be fine.
 
It's always better to get A's, but getting all B's on your prereqs does not mean you are not fit for medicine. Just keep working hard and trying your best.
 
If you dont have the grades you wont get the interview (always exceptions - everyone claims to know "a guy" who got in with a 3.1 who was super involved).

If you have below a 3.5 and less then a 30 on the MCAT just get ready for a rough cycle that ends with a DO acceptance.

Don't know "a guy" but I am one and I applied with:

A/B mix in pre-reqs, with C's in both OChem semesters.

2.80 cGPA, 3.09 sGPA, 34O

As of today I have 2 allo interviews in-process and a DO acceptance.

Not to imply I suggest anyone else do what I did as I have a lot of non-tangible aspects being an older applicant but no, a couple of B's is not going to kill you.