Not granted interview for shocking reason.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atticus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share an experience I had today. I called a certain school to ask if they had received my DAT scores. It turns out that they did receive them and our call ended at that. A few minutes later, I received a call back from the school's admissions department and was told that my application is fantastic... good DAT, great GPA, great extracurriculars, but that they wouldn't be able to offer me an interview at this time because I graduated in December of 2007. Because of that, I am essentially unable to prove that I am still academically able to attend dental school. They said that they would review my application again if I enroll in classes in the spring.

Has anyone else had similar problems? It seems shocking to me because I have only been out of school for just over 3 semesters. I hope that I am not witheld from interview invitations at more schools because of this condition.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been out of school since 2004 and have a few interviews already...sounds like a bad excuse to me.

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share an experience I had today. I called a certain school to ask if they had received my DAT scores. It turns out that they did receive them and our call ended at that. A few minutes later, I received a call back from the school's admissions department and was told that my application is fantastic... good DAT, great GPA, great extracurriculars, but that they wouldn't be able to offer me an interview at this time because I graduated in December of 2007. Because of that, I am essentially unable to prove that I am still academically able to attend dental school. They said that they would review my application again if I enroll in classes in the spring.

Has anyone else had similar problems? It seems shocking to me because I have only been out of school for just over 3 semesters. I hope that I am not witheld from interview invitations at more schools because of this condition.

that is the case for many schools. I had a friend with MS and Biology major. they put him in waitlist. He took two upper level courses last semester and the school accepted him in June!

Members don't see this ad :)
That doesn't make any sense to me. Like the above poster said, sounds like a bad excuse. I graduated in December of 2008. If your stats are good and the rest of your app is good, you shouldn't have a problem getting interviews, but be prepared to be drilled on why you didn't go into dentistry sooner. My last interview they drilled me on why I didn't take the DAT sooner, and why I didn't apply a year earlier, but the interview was a success I think.

Maybe they have a required course that you did not take yet? Maybe thats what they meant, otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

I know LLU you must have graduated maximum two years prior to applying. Anything over that you need to take courses and refresh on your sciences. So Im sure there is a cutoff for some schools. I may be wrong though. Sorry about your incident. Im sure you'll have no problems getting accepted to the other schools you applied to...

I'm really curious what school this is.

Hi everyone,

I am shocked by that . I graduated from undergrad in 1995 and applied to d-school the second time in 2005. Some of my pre-reqs were 14 years old. No one ever even questioned whether or not I felt I could handle this. Sorry to hear they said that to you.

Rediculus reason, Like your brain does not function anymore because you did not pay 3000+ a semester tuition for a year or two.

I guess they just have so many applicants that they try to find new venues for elimination.

I am very curious to know which school is this.

Rediculus reason, Like your brain does not function anymore because you did not pay 3000+ a semester tuition for a year or two.

I guess they just have so many applicants that they try to find new venues for elimination.

I am very curious to know which school is this.

I'm really curious what school this is.

OP... since they've already given you BS to deny you an invite.. Why not share the rest of the details of your grievances regarding this school with your fellow SDNers?