Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Not happy with the use of the English language!

Discussion in 'Step I' started by hj0517, Jan 3, 2009.

1. hj0517

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am being increasingly frustrated by question writers who must just write a normal question and whip out their thesaurus! I have noticed it a couple of times in UW and now its in a lot of questions on USMLErx.

I understand that the examiners are trying to get students to understand descriptions rather than eponymous syndromes but some of the descriptive terms don't fit even though I know what they are trying to say. Now I'm no English expert, my undergrad is in science but I think sometimes the questions are made unduly hard (or the correct answer seems wrong) because of the incorrect use of a descriptive term / term is a loosely associated variant.

Will this be the same on the exam??

Ahh thats my rant over two weeks before the exam...

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atomic1000

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it's "english language". Not "the english language". i dont know about usmlerx (supposed to be a waste of time anyway....) but uworld is reasonable and while i cannot answer quite a few questions correctly, i am pretty sure that it is not becuase of "the english language".

:rolleyes::laugh:

4. hj0517

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I apologize for my grammatical error, as stated previously I am not an English major!

ps. I thought it was "the" because there are >1 languages - is that not correct?

and as for Rx, I'll give you a verdict after the exam but early indications are that it is - as people say - garbage.

5. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i felt rx was perfect to use in the beginning of preparation and like a building stone to more difficulte uworld, granted rx is easy but it does cover major concepts which uworld asks in a much tougher usmle style way