May 30, 2009
Status
I know yall get tired of answering countless questions from MS4s involving competitiveness but I couldn't find this on a search and I know some of you must have been in this position when applying and might remember if it was a problem.

I just completed my EM elective at my home institution and got good comments but did not earn honors. I know that SLORs and EM elective grades are really important. How concerned should I be? Did this cause a problem for any of you when you were applying? Did it come up in interviews? Should I be trying to find a way to do another month somewhere else?

(Assume I go to a well respected institution and have mildly competitive clinical grades, USMLE scores and extracurriculars and am applying to a wide range of programs)

Thanks for your help

EM2BE

Elf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If it makes you feel any better, all people from my school can get is a pass or fail for any of their rotations.

Pure Anergy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
If it makes you feel any better, all people from my school can get is a pass or fail for any of their rotations.
How does that work when you apply for residency? Do you still get ranked?

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status
Attending Physician
You shouldn'nt worry. Honors means many things, to many people, in many contexts. What is more important is the rest of your SLOR. If you want to know what type of things are asked, google SLOR EM and you will see what you are being evaluated on. Your grade is a part- not all.

Honors is also relative. (ie: a rotation that gives 40% honors does not necessarily mean that hte honors is rated as much as one that only gives 10%)

Your SLOR (content), experiences and other evaluations are also very important.

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Puget Sound
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't get too upset by this. I agree that you need two strong SLORs. I got a HP at my home institution. It didn't come up, I got all the interviews I wanted, etc. Drive on, my friend. You can't change it anyway.

mango6110

10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
I just found out I got a HIGH pass and Im really upset about it...I don't understand how that could have happened, I worked really hard and got great feedback. Im so upset. has anyone still high passed and did extremely well?

Tiger26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I just found out I got a HIGH pass and Im really upset about it...I don't understand how that could have happened, I worked really hard and got great feedback. Im so upset. has anyone still high passed and did extremely well?
Same thing just happened to me . . .

BKN

10+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
+1 for only getting High Pass...glad to know I'm not the only one.
As Roja said, the grade is really institution dependent. The SLOR adjusts for this by requesting the prevous year's grading distribution and the writer's previous year's recommendation distribution. A good SLOR writer will discuss your rotation grade as well as your performance. A good SLOR reader will know how to interpret the document.

Please relax, with very few exceptions, you'll get a position. You made the hard cut the day you were accepted to med school.:highfive:

substanceP

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
the USA
Status
Attending Physician
you're all going to be fine. all this honors vs. high pass vs. pass nonsense is going to stop mattering about one nanosecond after you match. you're all going to get interviews, and you're all going to match. i can say this because i felt the same way you did three years ago and i matched, and i'm sure you're all better applicants than i was. just remember to stay healthy and go to the gym (or whatever you do) during interviews because the way you learn how to deal with stress now is going to be the way you deal with stress in residency, as an attending, and in life. --sp