Not matching for residency after Philippines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LocutusofBorg

Asklepian Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based upon anecdotal or official evidence... How hard is it for someone NOT to get ANY residency offers in the US after:
1) Completing a top 10 school in PI
2) Getting an average or an above average USMLE score
3) Having open matching criteria, being flexible about location, etc....

Do many people not match?

Members don't see this ad.

Based upon anecdotal or official evidence... How hard is it for someone NOT to get ANY residency offers in the US after:

I don't know a lot of people with your 3 criteria (as long as its primary care like FP) having difficulty matching. UNLESS they need visa sponsorship (like j1 or H1).

I don't think too many programs are going to be very impressed with your "top ten school in the PI" entry on your application. Just keep concentrating on those MLE scores. That should be number one on your list.

And you forgot to play your trump card....a US visa! That makes the process easier. A program will pick you over somebody with equal credentials, because they don't have to sponsor you to enter the country.

But don't plan on returning to practice in the PI. Only Filipino citizens can sit the PI Med Board exams, and hence practice in the PI.

Most countries with a serious shortage in doctors simply import them from other countries. But that's not a legal option in the PI even if we ignore the not-very-attractive salary schedules. But of course, this sort of irrational behavior is what is partly responsible for the current political and economic situation.

Members don't see this ad :)

anecdotal..
i have a friend, graduated from a top5 school, top 10 in his class, was number2 in the philippine boards, got 94 or higher in the USMLE (i forgot its equivalent) and took him 4 years of application to get a prematch offer late last year.
he said the main problem that interviewers pointed out was his lack of research background in medschool, despite his grades.

anecdotal..
i have a friend, graduated from a top5 school, top 10 in his class, was number2 in the philippine boards, got 94 or higher in the USMLE (i forgot its equivalent) and took him 4 years of application to get a prematch offer late last year.
he said the main problem that interviewers pointed out was his lack of research background in medschool, despite his grades.
Most likely he also needed a visa. I got lower scores than that and I got a position on my first year of application.

Most likely he also needed a visa. I got lower scores than that and I got a position on my first year of application.

oh yeah. :D i remember him saying something about that too. i think his emphasis, other things being equal, he was questioned about research experience, and how important it is.