• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

GenSurgorOrtho

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello all! I am an a medical student interested in Ortho, but am realistic and accept the fact that I might not match. If I do not match what are my options and which is the best path to take to eventually match. Thank you, any advice is much appreciated.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
What do you mean by "eventually match"? There's no do-overs here. You either match or you don't.

About the Ads

VincentAdultman

15+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Sure path to failure.

Anectodotal sure, but I know a handful of guys who got into ortho after completing a research year.

Basically the two paths to take if you don't match are doing a year of research or doing a year in general surgery. It's a personal decision based on what your application looks like and what pain you tolerate the least. Both have their pros and cons, and they both have a similar success rate (I'm too lazy to look it up, but in general those who go unmatched have a poor prognosis.)

Prelim year pros:

-Show your institution your clinical accumen
-Get letters
-Find yourself a PGY-2 spot (VERY RARE)

Cons:

-No free time
-Doesn't really improve your application too much
-No one gives a f#@$ about your education ie you're a space on the call schedule.

Research year Pros
-More free time
-Can get a good number of pubs out if you're at the right place and you work hard
-Get letters

Cons
-Can't get a PGY-2 spot since you won't meet RRC's ortho intern requirements

No way is a guarantee; it just comes down to how hard you work and how personable you are.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, we've discussed this before.

I still think that what you describe is a pretty uncommon pathway that usually doesn't work out. I suspect (though obviously have no data) that people like you who did this were strong applicants to begin with.

But yes, I ackowledge that it does happen.

VincentAdultman

15+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah, we've discussed this before.

I still think that what you describe is a pretty uncommon pathway that usually doesn't work out. I suspect (though obviously have no data) that people like you who did this were strong applicants to begin with.

But yes, I ackowledge that it does happen.

I just had to throw out my own personal experience, as it is an area that (unfortunately) I have quite a bit ofexperience in.

The people I refer to, myself included, would fall squarely into the "how the f!#$ did YOU not match??" category.

GenSurgorOrtho

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
so basically if u don't match ortho, and u still want to atleast do somekind of surgery, u gotta reenter the match the next year and go for general surgery? Thank you.

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
so basically if u don't match ortho, and u still want to atleast do somekind of surgery, u gotta reenter the match the next year and go for general surgery? Thank you.

You can apply to both gen surg and ortho at the same time, but this is not recommended at all. If you want to do ortho, do well on step 1 (or make up for it on step 2), do well on your rotations, and consider doing research.

I don't know where you currently are in med school, but I have a feeling you are in the first two years. Dude, if you want ortho go meet the department right now, and don't sweat "not matching" until you have completed third year. Planning "backups" like gen surg just dooms you to failure.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.