Not Playing A Sport In A League?

Started by drorthoman
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drorthoman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I play basketball almost every day at my local park, but I don't play for a league. Is there any way for me to add this in my application to colleges. Do colleges like it more when an applicant plays for a team? I think I'm pretty good at basketball, but my school doesn't have a basketball team and I would join AAU but then you have to travel. S I'm basically stuck playing at my park which I'm fine with, but is it fine with colleges?
 
I think it'll be better if you played on a team. I don't think you can just say, "I play basketball on my free time." My brother did AAU, and yes it's a lot of traveling, but it's fun. My brother won state and they played in Ocean city, and then lost....
 
I think it'll be better if you played on a team. I don't think you can just say, "I play basketball on my free time." My brother did AAU, and yes it's a lot of traveling, but it's fun. My brother won state and they played in Ocean city, and then lost....

The problem with AAU is that I can't travel. My dad has his gift shop to take care of and he's at work from 9 AM to 6 PM and he hasn't taken a day off for about 3 or 4 years now, and my mom doesn't travel at all. She especially won't be wanting to drive 4 or 5 hours just for a basketball game. Any other ideas?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Piggy-backing off of what FantasyVesperia said, you can't just put "bball in the local park during free times" on your application. But maybe you could turn that time into something constructive like coaching younger kids or maybe even reffing? It wouldn't have to be all the time- once a week would even be enough to put on your resume and application
 
Piggy-backing off of what FantasyVesperia said, you can't just put "bball in the local park during free times" on your application. But maybe you could turn that time into something constructive like coaching younger kids or maybe even reffing? It wouldn't have to be all the time- once a week would even be enough to put on your resume and application

Lol. That's so not me (no in a bad way, though). I'd rather play basketball than coach or reff little kids. Ughhh, this is why I hate small schools. Any one have any other ideas?