[Not quite] another MD/PhD nontrad thread:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

woktheline

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fellow Nontrads,

Here's the situation (not Jersey shore related):
- My goal is to become a physician-scientist - I am open to fields where this is most integrated, but I love the idea of seeing any piece of research translate into my care for patients and vice versa (however rare that may be); I love connecting with people, as I've noticed in hating my "virtual shadowing" experiences vs. seeing patients in person this year
- despite some of the frustrations, admin hoops, and reduced pay, I am pretty drawn to academia but wouldn't cry about it otherwise
- Plan to matriculate fall 2023
- Debt-free as of last year
- 2 semesters of pre-reqs (Orgo and Biochem) and the MCAT left.
- Tons of shadowing. Starting non-profit as main EC but also lots of food shelter volunteering.
- Over 5k hours of research (started PhD in epidemiology - left due to some extenuating circumstances), but these varied from the bench (neuro/cell bio lab) to epidemiological/population level
- Several first author pubs, second author and a couple conference presentations/posters etc.; Hold an MSPH
- Working currently and will have worked for three years as a biostatistician at biotech firm

I am really committed to debt minimization, and would trade that for the additional years that go along with MD/PhD. Yes, I acknowledge the argument some make on here about "oh you can just pay it back in a couple years as an attending" but I also want to start a family and I feel like not many eligible bachelorettes will be too fired up about straddling my enormous debt as we start out.

My advisor and I go back and forth on this, but I am mainly curious that, assuming remaining stats were decent (MCAT mainly), I would be competitive with my somewhat scattered research background. It's extensive but definitely broad. She also wants me to consider that I can become a physician-scientist just with the MD because I have an existing MSPH. I just don't want to willingly take on 250-500k in debt as I am already 28 and just went debt-free last year.

My perception of Mudphud is that folks seem to be quite pointed in what they are looking to do. I have about 2-3 ideas that seem really neat to me and I could do for a lifetime, but no more specificity beyond this.

What would you all do?
TL;DR: have an MS and tons of research experience, just not as directed in one area. MD/PhD advisable?