Not sure I'd make a GOOD psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akay00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been interested in psychiatry since undergrad, but Iam afraid that I may not be a GOOD psychiatrist. Honestly, I never reallyconsidered I could enjoy a specialty other than psychiatry.. I mean that is whyI applied to medical school, or so I thought. I believe that I prefer conceptsthat are more concrete. Will I be OK w the lack of answers in psychiatry?

If I were to be honest with myself about what worries me, Iwould say that I am not always a "tolerant" person. However, that doesn't mean I'm intolerant ofthe mentally ill. I'd say I am more intolerant of my colleagues. Furthermore, Iwouldn't describe myself as a carebear. I come across as insensitive sometimes,even though I don't believe I am. The most difficult to admit is that sometimesI think I'm socially awkward. I am not a charismatic person that has thisnatural ability to make everyone around me feel at ease. I don't have thetraits that would make me a good psychologist.. maybe I could learn, but it isnot a natural ability. Also, I have always been pretty shy, but I think I amnot a shy person in a 1 on 1 setting Anyways, no matter the specialty, I know Iwill need to get over my shyness. Hopefully clinicals will make me a betterabled person…

ANY thoughts/comments you may have are welcomed.

For clarification, I am a 4th semester med student

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it fair to say that perhaps focus on 3rd year and see how you get along in psychiatry and the other specialties. It is always a good sign to have self-awareness, but don't second-guess yourself so early on.

Being shy isn't a hindrance. Many patients prefer a psychiatrist who is quiet and good at listening. I've seen the opposite, where a psych resident had an abrupt personality and it killed many opportunities to really connect with her patients. What made it worse is that I don't think she was even aware of it. Keep your chin up!

I definitely agree that shy people can do well in psychiatry. Being able to listen more than you talk is a good thing in our specialty.
I also think that if you have the desire to improve, you CAN learn how to be better at connecting with patients. Once I started learning about how to conduct therapy in residency, I think my ability to connect with patients improved a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Different personalities can still do well in this field. You'll also likely grow and change by the time you enter this field if you choose to enter it.

Being concerned about your personality years before you enter the field will certainly lead to some personal introspection that could make you change those things that you're concerned about.

I wouldn't sweat it at the pre-med stage.

One resident that was in my class was schizoid (no I'm not exaggerating) a hell of a nice guy and a good psychiatrist. The guy was a good listener, polite, and friendly.

Medical school is a study in the spectrum of personality disorders.

Think about it.