Not sure of EMT-B, looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureERDoc2013

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have always been interested in emergency medicine and have found a program that is one semester that starts in about two weeks, EMT-B. I've done research on the education requirements and such as a EMT. I'm looking for the salary amount. I am a current LPN, does anyone know if having that LPN, with no experience (just passed the boards), but a BS in biology and having a EMT-B (once completed) help? I need advice on if it's really worth it, or stick with my LPN and work from there.
 
I have always been interested in emergency medicine and have found a program that is one semester that starts in about two weeks, EMT-B. I've done research on the education requirements and such as a EMT. I'm looking for the salary amount. I am a current LPN, does anyone know if having that LPN, with no experience (just passed the boards), but a BS in biology and having a EMT-B (once completed) help?
Help with salary? Not that I'm aware of, but let some American folks clue you in on that one.
 
Having a bunch of certifications but no experience isn't going to help. In fact, I'd argue that it's potentially negative. Stick with your LPN and actually get some experience. ...and be ready to answer, "Why physician if you're already a nurse?"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you make about twice as much as an lpn as the typical emt-basic.
a paramedic(emt-p) most of the time will make more than an lpn. you need to be an emt-b to become a paramedic.
 
unfortunately, nothing matters in terms of salary when working as an EMT except EMT experience.