Not sure what to do anymore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngacv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, well I'm in kind of a dilemma right now and I'd like to hear what some of you have to say.

So to start it off, I am currently a sophomore about to finish up his spring semester. I've been interested in optometry for some time now, since middle school actually, and for awhile, I was positive that being an optometrist was the right profession for me.

I know that in order to get into an optometry school you have to be competitive and I know that GPA and OAT scores are a huge factor (I'm sure you get these all the time?) which is why I'm really nervous because.....

My GPA as of now is horrible.

Freshman year I had a 3.0 (because I let myself get sucked into the whole "woooo college yeah lets meet cool new people and do stupid stuff" thing).

But as of now, I currently have a 2.4, and that's because I messed up hard last semester, due to personal reasons.

I'm really scared that I won't make it into an optometry school, because even If I pull up my grades, the best I can get would be around a 3.2/3.3, and that's assuming I graduate in two years while getting at least a 3.5 each semester. That certainly cannot compare to the 3.7's+ you see everyone else having.

I'm also scared of what the people who review the applications might think. If they see that I did horrible that one semester will I even be considered? GPA is one of the first things people see, right? I don't think they take "having personal reasons" as a valid excuse of doing poorly. Do they even take excuses?

I know that extracurricular activities factor into admission as well, but do you think that having a bunch of extracurriculars could balance out my GPA?

I haven't really done much. I don't work so I don't have an excuse for my poor grades. I've shadowed an optometrist but that's about it. But this summer + next school year I plan on trying to buff up my resume, only if I decide to continue the pre-optometry path.

Like, I know this sounds stupid but because of my GPA I'm seriously considering changing my career path. Which gets me even more stressed because I have no idea what else I want to do. I don't want to graduate and not get into optometry school because what else can I do with a B.S in Chemistry

So yeah, that's it. Sorry if this sounds dumb or messy or overreactive or anything.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

and I really wanted to go to Berkeley too :'(. What are my chances on that happening?

I definitely wouldn't change your career path simply due to some bad grades! Go check out the "Class of 2017 Acceptances" thread to give you an idea of what "stats" can get you into school. The truth is, each person has their own story. If you work hard to get good grades from here on out, do well on the OAT, and try to get more optometry experience, you could have a GREAT chance of getting in!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you believe you are a number, then admissions committees will believe it too.

So don't reduce yourself to a number. You are not a number. You are a human being who deserves the respect of looking at the whole package and not just GPA. If you give yourself that respect, then others will see it too.

Here are some facts, though:
1) You might not get in where you want to get in. Remember, this goes for all applicants. If you don't get in at Berkeley, you're one of hundreds and hundreds of applicants who didn't get into Berkeley. Don't take it personally.
2) You might not get in when you want to get in. In fact, it might not be the case that you can get into optometry school right out of college. It might not even be the case that you should apply to optometry school right out of college. Take your time and don't rush things. Look into working as an optician for a while. Look into being an undergraduate volunteer at a community optometry clinic or something along those lines.
3) You need to be honest with yourself about whether you can pull it together. When you're in optometry school, mistakes that kill your GPA are high stakes - they can get you held back or withdrawn from a program. That's something you don't want to have happen. You gotta pull it together. You might need to prove it to an admissions committee that you can pull it together.

Can you still be an optometrist? If you work hard, take your time, and get your priorities straight, then I don't see why not.

One poor semester will not sink your application if you have a reasonable explanation for your poor performance and especially if you do well the rest of the way and do well on the OAT. No more excuses though. DO YOUR BEST.

Probably not Berkeley. But if you have the determination, there's alot of other optometry schools.

I've suffer from low GPA my 1st year uni, and it took 3 years and summer/spring school to raise it up. and even with raising it up I was still below the class average for optometry. Some university mark harder than other university. I got a C in organic chemistry at my uni, but I was the 93th percentile in OAT lol.

Like all of us who have low GPA: Prove yourself in OAT, Prove yourself in your commitment, shadow more drs, work at eye clinics.

Stay focus, look for back up plans yes, but dont look for excuses

I was recently admitted to berkeley and getting in with a lower than average GPA is possible.

Here were my stats to get an idea:

OAT (AA, TS) 330, 360
GPA(Science, Overall) 3.14, 3.41

I attended UCSD for undergrad.

Here were my Extracurriculars:
- Founder & CEO of a Non-Profit Organization
- Bilingual
- Volunteer at hospitals & community centers
- President of club at UCSD
- Member of several clubs at UCSD including Pre-Optometry club
- Research Assistant
- Volunteer After-school Tutor
- Shadowing health care professionals (including optometrists) in different fields (pharmacy, dentistry, medicine)
- Student Athlete : I played college soccer
- Musically inclined : I play the piano

I spoke with several current 1st year and 2nd year students who had higher GPAs than me. I think the average was 3.5+. And I immediately thought to myself, there is no way I will get an interview offer from UCB. As you can see my overall GPA was below their average and my science GPA was not as high as other applicants. I couldn't believe I was offered an interview, let alone be accepted! So don't doubt yourself. But I think what separated me the most from other applicants was my extracurriculars and my OAT score. Don't be discouraged about not doing as well as you wanted because when I was at UCSD there were times when I had sub 3.0 gpa's for several quarters and I was so frustrated and stressed out that it affected my performance going forward. Plus, I wasn't working, I didn't have any family or personal issues and so I had no excuse not to do well. I just continued to work hard and push myself even though I wasn't getting the GPAs I wanted. It's a grind and you just need to keep reminding yourself what your fighting for. My parents had it MUCH harder than me growing up and the thought of that kept pushing me regardless of the outcome. You can only give it your best...that's it...you can definitely do it!

You mentioned that you had some personal reasons that affected your performance. You can actually use that negative and turn it into a positive and those are great stories to write about on your personal statement as well as to use in interviews...seriously. I think admissions really like to see that "comeback" type of story. As students, I think almost everyone goes through struggles in school, and its about how you overcome that struggle. So don't just give up and change fields just because you don't think you'll get in. You still have 2 years ahead of you to bring up your GPA. Plus if you feel like you should retake a class then do that to. You can also take classes at community colleges because those tend to be easier than taking it at a university and that will help you bring up your GPA. I took 2 years off from school after graduating from undergrad and now I will be starting optometry school this coming fall. So there is no rush and you have plenty of time.

You also mentioned that you don't have a lot of extracurriculars, I would definitely try and expanding that. Optometry schools like (especially UCB) well-rounded applicants. When I got the call from berkeley telling me that I have been accepted, one of the reasons why they liked me a lot was because how well-rounded my application was. You don't need to have the same extracurriculars as me but I provided them to give you an idea of what I accomplished. So definitely try if you can. I think that can only help you. I knew that my GPA was not as high as other applicants and in college I told myself I wanted to do something that will make me stand out among other applicants. Starting my own non-profit did exactly just that and a good portion of my interview was just talking about my non-profit.

Don't give up, and if you need any help or guidance let me know. I will do my best to help.

Maybe not Berkeley BUT prove me wrong. I read post on SDN who had 2.8 GPA who got into optometry school.

Here are some tips from a recent matriculant into optometry school
1. Do really, really well on the OAT. Whatever classes you did not do well, counter with excellence on the OAT. STUDY YOUR ***** off for this exam.
2. Go shadow multiple ODs in private and commercial to enhance your pre optometry experience.
3. Get a job within the optometry field as a tech or something.
4. DO RESEARCH with one of your professors whom you are comfortable with. It will amplify your chances to many schools. It did to me.
5. Apply early and broadly.
6. Have confidence and exercise regularly and MOST IMPORTANTLY pray to the ALMIGHTY. Ask GOD to guide you in the straight path, ask for knowledge, health, memory booster, and happiness. Do this daily and your life will get 100000000x better. I abide by this.

Maybe not Berkeley BUT prove me wrong. I read post on SDN who had 2.8 GPA who got into optometry school.

Here are some tips from a recent matriculant into optometry school
1. Do really, really well on the OAT. Whatever classes you did not do well, counter with excellence on the OAT. STUDY YOUR ***** off for this exam.
2. Go shadow multiple ODs in private and commercial to enhance your pre optometry experience.
3. Get a job within the optometry field as a tech or something.
4. DO RESEARCH with one of your professors whom you are comfortable with. It will amplify your chances to many schools. It did to me.
5. Apply early and broadly.
6. Have confidence and exercise regularly and MOST IMPORTANTLY pray to the ALMIGHTY. Ask GOD to guide you in the straight path, ask for knowledge, health, memory booster, and happiness. Do this daily and your life will get 100000000x better. I abide by this.

I'm a believer that anyone can get in anywhere if you rock the OAT. And if you aren't completely weird in your interview.;)

I'm a believer that anyone can get in anywhere if you rock the OAT. And if you aren't completely weird in your interview.;)
Not necessarily. Stuff happens; you get an interviewer who's having an off day, and you get rejected. FYI, I got 390 on my OAT (TS 400), and got rejected from Berkeley (which, looking back, was a blessing in disguise). And I'm as personable and affable as they come.

Yea, I didn't have a great GPA after freshmen year because of my 'wohoo college!' attitude. I kind of got stuck in that rut for the next year too. Now my GPA was not in the 2s like yours but I felt pretty bad about myself, deeming myself hopeless and ruined career-wise because previously, I had always done well for myself academically.

Soo I got real and buckled down. I put ALL extracurriculars (partying, being on the exec board, committees, etc.) pretty much to the side because GPA is really really more important than being president of Relay for Life or something comparable. I think if you do this and manage to get a >3.2 cumulative and science gpa and get a >330 OAT, you can get into optometry school. If you get a >360 OAT, I think you could get an interview at Berkeley. I'm no fortune teller but if you look at the Class of 2017 acceptances, you'll see the bar is not set as high as you think (the mean GPA is NOT 3.7).

PS: Here are some study tips for college learning. College is different than high school - teachers don't care if you procrastinate and they don't care if you fail. TIP 1: When you get the syllabus at the beginning of the semester, write down all your tests in your planner and then schedule yourself to start studying a week before the test date (specifically, start making a study guide a week before the test). After you've made the study guide, go to your TA or professor during office hours and go through any questions you might have. Then, the couple days before the test, you have this great study guide to study from. TIP 2: Don't study in groups, at least not cold. If you're trying to learn the anatomy of the human skull, chanting "frontal lobe" with somebody a couple of times is not an effective means of memorization since individuals learn at different paces. When somebody else is there, I find that that other person is just a distraction. It is much more efficient to just try to memorize by yourself. I find that study groups are only appropriate when everyone has done the memorization/learning already and are just quizzing each other.

Not necessarily. Stuff happens; you get an interviewer who's having an off day, and you get rejected. FYI, I got 390 on my OAT (TS 400), and got rejected from Berkeley (which, looking back, was a blessing in disguise). And I'm as personable and affable as they come.

That's true. But if you have a good or great OAT, you will get in at one of the good schools. If you are restricted on only wanting one specific school, there are no guarantees because like you said, applying is no perfect science.

Since your location says Chicago, I assume you go to ICO?

As of now, that's where I'm headed. How do you like it?