Not sure what to do...what do u think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbabbas84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone.. alright.. so aug pcat is like totally down the road.. :eek:.. What i am confused about is.. i got a really low score in june... and I am scared about the 50 point rule.. (the rule states, that if your new score gets a 50 point jump from your last pcat score, then your new pcat score will not count.. unless you can prove that u really really did study... how?? well, you might have taken a special course like kaplan or collins.. or u bought study material.. things like that will be your proof).... but my problem is this... in the aug pcat.. i really don't think I will do well... I KNOW i wont do well cause I was unable to study they way I really wanted.. so.. I AM taking the pcat in aug for sure.. but should I bubble in the no score..... so they don't count my score.. u know how u can bubble in no credit or something... they just grade it but it won't go towards/against my pcat... do u know what I am talking about?? What do you think I should do??? :confused::scared::eek:
Thanks for any comments..:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Might sound stupid, but is that 50 rule for real? Makes no sense to me because OBVIOUSLY when you're giving it the second time, means you did poorly the first time, thus you want to improve your score? So, isnt it possible for someone to get 50 points higher than the first time they took it (given they did study well)?

To answer your question, why choose to not study like you wanted to, when you knew you needed to in order to score well the 2nd time? You should have just given it in October then. I'd say just do your best on this Aug PCAT and if you feel confident while taking it, then dont bubble in the no score option; but if you dont..then you might as well. Still, with all honesty..you should have studied hard this time.

yea im on the same boat as you. im having a serious problem retaining all the information. every time I learn something new and understand it, I seem to forget stuff that I learned just days earlier.

ok so I got a question:

lets say i pull a 45 percentile on this....will schools look down on me even if i get an 85 next time around. Will the say "yea you got an 85 but you also got a 45" or will they say "you did really well on your pcat since you got an 85." I know they look at the highest score but if you get a 20 on one of them..im assuming thats going to put some doubt in their minds dont you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with snyc that you should should see how you feel while taking it then decide to bubble in the no score option. It will look bad if you have two really bad scores

What's up everyone.. alright.. so aug pcat is like totally down the road.. :eek:.. What i am confused about is.. i got a really low score in june... and I am scared about the 50 point rule.. (the rule states, that if your new score gets a 50 point jump from your last pcat score, then your new pcat score will not count.. unless you can prove that u really really did study... how?? well, you might have taken a special course like kaplan or collins.. or u bought study material.. things like that will be your proof).... but my problem is this... in the aug pcat.. i really don't think I will do well... I KNOW i wont do well cause I was unable to study they way I really wanted.. so.. I AM taking the pcat in aug for sure.. but should I bubble in the no score..... so they don't count my score.. u know how u can bubble in no credit or something... they just grade it but it won't go towards/against my pcat... do u know what I am talking about?? What do you think I should do??? :confused::scared::eek:
Thanks for any comments..:thumbup:

If I were you, I wouldn't be at all concerned about the fifty point rule. This is your second time taking it and you still didn't study enough. It is very difficult to make a fifty point jump. You should be more concerned with why it is you aren't studying enough. The fifty point rule looks like it is the least of your problems right now.

i am more concerned about this rule that you are. i am expecting 90s in bio and chem. this time. last time my reading and verbal scores put me below 30 composite, even though my science scores were high.

well.. thanks to every1 for responding.. and thanks to some for making me even more nervous... :scared: There were many different reasons why I was unable to study and give it my 100%.. but I really can't do anything about that now.. now its too late.. but I agree with some of you... that I will take the test and while taking the test will decided to bubble the no score option or not..

the 50pt rule.. is a REAL rule.. I called pearsons and asked them directly.. if you have a LOW score and then made a 50 pt jump.. that just gives a red flag to pearson... I thought that was a stupid rule as well.. I mean.. what if the person taking the pcat 2nd time gave like 100000%%.... u know.. like all he/she did was study all day and all night.. and the score DOES NOT COUNT!!!! but what u gonna do.. those are the rules.. and u have to play the game by the rules...all I can say is.............. "should've counld've" !!!!

Might sound stupid, but is that 50 rule for real? Makes no sense to me because OBVIOUSLY when you're giving it the second time, means you did poorly the first time, thus you want to improve your score? So, isnt it possible for someone to get 50 points higher than the first time they took it (given they did study well)?

To answer your question, why choose to not study like you wanted to, when you knew you needed to in order to score well the 2nd time? You should have just given it in October then. I'd say just do your best on this Aug PCAT and if you feel confident while taking it, then dont bubble in the no score option; but if you dont..then you might as well. Still, with all honesty..you should have studied hard this time.
I agree... should have given it a 100%... but LIFE came in the middle.. i will take the test and during the test will decide the no bubble option.. thanks..

I have seen many people post here about how they were worried about the 50 pt rule but I have yet to see anyone claim they were affected by it. I think it is in place because it happens so rarely that they want to check it out and see if it is a real improvement.

I will be pretty impressed if someone actually manages a 50 point jump. I think that is more impressive than a 99 comp.

If I were you, I wouldn't be at all concerned about the fifty point rule. This is your second time taking it and you still didn't study enough. It is very difficult to make a fifty point jump. You should be more concerned with why it is you aren't studying enough. The fifty point rule looks like it is the least of your problems right now.

I think you've misunderstood the OP. He's not worried about a 50 point jump on this test; he's worried about scoring so low (a 30, perhaps), that an 81 on a future attempt (entirely possible for someone who got 30 with little to no studying) would be rendered void.

It's a legitimate concern. I think it depends on just *how* little you know at this point. Take a practice exam, or even just parts of one if you don't have time. If you find yourself basically guessing more questions than not, then it may be better if you'd choose the "No score" option for this go-around. Otherwise, just go through with it and hope for the best.

I think you've misunderstood the OP. He's not worried about a 50 point jump on this test; he's worried about scoring so low (a 30, perhaps), that an 81 on a future attempt (entirely possible for someone who got 30 with little to no studying) would be rendered void.

It's a legitimate concern. I think it depends on just *how* little you know at this point. Take a practice exam, or even just parts of one if you don't have time. If you find yourself basically guessing more questions than not, then it may be better if you'd choose the "No score" option for this go-around. Otherwise, just go through with it and hope for the best.

I didn't misunderstand. The OP already got a low score in June. I believe that raising one's score 50 points is so rare that he/she is worried about something that just isn't going to happen. The more legitimate concern is getting in enough studying time to raise that score as much as possible.

I didn't misunderstand. The OP already got a low score in June. I believe that raising one's score 50 points is so rare that he/she is worried about something that just isn't going to happen. The more legitimate concern is getting in enough studying time to raise that score as much as possible.
I really don't believe that rasing 50 points would be SOOOO rare.. I know that getting a 50 point raise for this pcat would be difficult because I spent the same amount of time to study as I did in June pcat.. i KNOW that is not the way to study and try to achieve what u want but things came up... my concern is NOW WHAT 2DO.... the best way to deterimen that is to take practice exams and see how i do and then decided to bubble or not to bubble.. but a 50 point jump.... can SURELY be accomplished with the right attitude and determination.

"Never Give up, Never surrender"