Jul 14, 2009
Davis,CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
My first few years in college I did really well got mostly A's, until my senior year in college. My grades started to drop a LOT started getting C's in my prerequistes. I had a really rough time because I had lost 2 family members in that year. Any advise on what I should do? Should i retake some classes at CC ? or Just focus on the PCAT?:(

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
Are you currently taking any classes? What exactly does your transcript look like? Do you have three years of decent grades and then one year of what looks like senioritis?

I'd check with the schools and see what they suggest. But... you might consider taking some more advanced classes from the ones you got C's in. Then, you can explain in your personal statement or another essay why your grades dropped.

Did you still get some B's? Or was it all C's?

OP
C
Jul 14, 2009
Davis,CA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Right now i'm not taking any classes,since I've already graduated.I'm working at a pharmacy retail store and volunteering. I was thinking of applying for the 2010 cycle but very hesitant because of the downward spiral grade trend I had in my senor year my cum.gpa dropped from 3.7 all the way down to 3.3. I had all C's in my physics and ochem classes. And a few B's in my psychology classes. Any suggestions on schools that will accept students with lower GPA's?

FarscapeGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
First, if you apply to a PCAT school and do really well in the chem section, that'd be good.

I'd consider taking some different o-chem and possibly physics classes, too. I think schools consider this better than re-taking the same class, but you should really check with them. If, for instance, you took the regular o-chem, and there's a o-chem for chem majors, I'd try and take that class.

You can try and apply anyway, but I really think it'd be worth it to re-take some higher level classes.

IrishRxMan

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
A 3.3 isn't bad. Just take the PCAT and do well on it. You may want to consider taking the pre-requisite courses over, but see about applying this fall. You never know, you could get in regardless of if you didn't do well your senior year. If you show you are re-taking classes you didn't do so well in and are doing well in them, that will help your case.