Not taking biochem...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I realize biochem is very recommended and essentially a required course but I have a hefty semester next Fall with Physics and Spanish, 2 neuro classes lined up... so I'm not planning on taking it. Does this put me in a bad position for dental schools? I essentially wont have any upper electives while applying or even after. Just the bare minimum. Kind of worried about that. I wonder if NYU cares that much! lol

Members don't see this ad.

Can you take it in your glide year? I don't think NYU is a school that required it so you probably won't have an issue with them. Biochem was required by the majority of the schools that I applied to and for me it was one of the most important upper division classes to get. I just put it down as pending as a future course and took it after I submitted my application.

Can you take it in your glide year? I don't think NYU is a school that required it so you probably won't have an issue with them. Biochem was required by the majority of the schools that I applied to and for me it was one of the most important upper division classes to get. I just put it down as pending as a future course and took it after I submitted my application.
I def. could take it in my gap year but I rather would love to go straight from undergrad. to dental school. And yes, I narrowed down to about 5-6 schools that don't require biochemistry - and only the basic sciences, math etc. This is the list: NYU, Boston Univ, Temple, Rutgers, USC, Univ. at Buffalo; if it helps, I'm a NYC resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the schools you are applying to do not require it but only recommend it then don't sweat it if you can't take it. You will end up taking it in dental school and some schools like to see it and others just recommend it. I don't think they will necessary hold it against you.

If it isn't required, don't sweat it. In all honesty, I'll admit that I didn't initially plan on taking it... until UNC and went and made it a requirement last year!

HOWEVER, don't let this one class keep you from applying to schools you could really see yourself liking. (Or schools that could potentially be cheaper than your current list.) I wouldn't let one class close any doors for me.