looktme

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2010
Status
  1. Medical Student
I'm a 3rd year DO student hoping to apply and get interviews next year in EM. I did ok on Step 1: 252 and Level 1: 684. My question is: do I need to take step 2 to be competitive? I am currently planning on taking level 2 early in my 4th year so I don't risk a chance of a potential lower score hurting me. Anyone able to get many interviews without having step 2(being a DO student)?

TimesNewRoman

EM/CCM
May 14, 2013
Status
  1. Attending Physician
EM is getting much tougher every year. As a DO, you already have one strike (no offense meant, but its true). Don't give them another reason not to take you, they have a line of people waiting for that spot.

Plus CK is WAY easier. Everyone goes up. I had a really good Step 1 (similar to yours) and still went up 20 points. I actually had a PD comment that he was glad I took it - it showed I was confident and had no interest in "playing the game."

Do what you want, but you'll be a more complete and competitive applicant if you can add a 260 to that 252. And that's what you want - to be the most competitive applicant, not to be good enough.

JediZero

Cynical Optimist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Las Vegas
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm a 3rd year DO student hoping to apply and get interviews next year in EM. I did ok on Step 1: 252 and Level 1: 684. My question is: do I need to take step 2 to be competitive? I am currently planning on taking level 2 early in my 4th year so I don't risk a chance of a potential lower score hurting me. Anyone able to get many interviews without having step 2(being a DO student)?

Your round one scores were more than 'ok', if you ask me. Take Step 2, you should do well, and it will be a plus for you. At the very least, it will help you figure out where you will be competitive.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads