Not taking step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looktme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year DO student hoping to apply and get interviews next year in EM. I did ok on Step 1: 252 and Level 1: 684. My question is: do I need to take step 2 to be competitive? I am currently planning on taking level 2 early in my 4th year so I don't risk a chance of a potential lower score hurting me. Anyone able to get many interviews without having step 2(being a DO student)?

Members don't see this ad.

EM is getting much tougher every year. As a DO, you already have one strike (no offense meant, but its true). Don't give them another reason not to take you, they have a line of people waiting for that spot.

Plus CK is WAY easier. Everyone goes up. I had a really good Step 1 (similar to yours) and still went up 20 points. I actually had a PD comment that he was glad I took it - it showed I was confident and had no interest in "playing the game."

Do what you want, but you'll be a more complete and competitive applicant if you can add a 260 to that 252. And that's what you want - to be the most competitive applicant, not to be good enough.

I'm a 3rd year DO student hoping to apply and get interviews next year in EM. I did ok on Step 1: 252 and Level 1: 684. My question is: do I need to take step 2 to be competitive? I am currently planning on taking level 2 early in my 4th year so I don't risk a chance of a potential lower score hurting me. Anyone able to get many interviews without having step 2(being a DO student)?

Your round one scores were more than 'ok', if you ask me. Take Step 2, you should do well, and it will be a plus for you. At the very least, it will help you figure out where you will be competitive.