Not to burst any bubbles...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed.. We get our envelopes at 11 am Central time.. So for me 24hours 28 mins!!

Members don't see this ad.

EctopicFetus said:
Agreed.. We get our envelopes at 11 am Central time.. So for me 24hours 28 mins!!

Ectopic-you and I will have our own count down...

24:26 (Ectopic and myself) :thumbup:
25:26 everybody else :thumbdown:

:smuggrin:

Woo hoo me and the mod have something in common! I plan to be 2 sheets to the wind by 25:26!! I then have a Gold HUmanism honor society luncheon!

We are asked to submit pearls and I stole one from here, it was...

"Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

I dont know if thats gold humanism worthy but I thought i would be honest with my feelings!

Members don't see this ad :)
you bastards!!! we only get our letters at 1pm!!
hey, is WHSCAB plaza on central time maybe??
nevermind. i just saw all the other posts. this is what freaking out will do to you.

mward04 said:
Guess I'll know an hour earlier than you guys :laugh:

My hubby's getting his envelope at 12 noon EST and I'll be right there looking over his shoulder!

24:15!

angry tears just wont stop! they won't i tell ya!

12 noon sharp. It can't come fast enough...

mward04 said:
unless you're opening your letter at 1 :D
What part about planning someones untimely demise did you not believe. Seriously I know hit men in Georgia pal!!!!!! Fetus I always liked you but now that I know you get your letter an hour before me..... well let's just say you shall never make it to 4000+ posts
mmwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaahahahahahahaha

By the way.... are death threats a violation of the terms of service?

colforbinMD said:

not if they're well deserved i think ?

colforbinMD said:
What part about planning someones untimely demise did you not believe. Seriously I know hit men in Georgia pal!!!!!! Fetus I always liked you but now that I know you get your letter an hour before me..... well let's just say you shall never make it to 4000+ posts
mmwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaahahahahahahaha

save your anger for your school my friend...

GeneralVeers said:
Honestly I'm not sure. They apparently have one scramble spot every year. If you look at how it's listed, it looks like it's a spot completely separate from the rest of the residency. Perhaps for the other 7 positions they rank them, then treat the 8th as a different residency and rank no one.

Anyone from Kern here who can explain this strangeness?

Since you're curious...

Kern (a 2-4 program) takes 7 residents each year (21 total). 1 person left the program last year in the R2 class, leaving a spot open for an R2 in the match last year. The opening didn't fill in the match, and they ended up using the spot to take an extra R4. Since that R4 is leaving this year, they once again had an opening, which they decided try to fill in the match again (which is why there is one separate "8th" spot at Kern). It was not advertised, and did not fill, but I believe they already have picked up someone from the scramble already. So now, they have 8 R2's, 6 R3's, and 7 R4's for a total of 21. So no, they don't normally leave a spot open for the scramble, and unless someone leaves, they won't have that extra "8th" spot next year. Hope that makes sense. Bye the way, I know there's not much pub for the program, but it's a solid, county program with great residents, great attendings, and awesome path...the big drawback people mention is living in Bakersfield, but it's not that bad...anyway, for those of you looking at EM for next year...

Members don't see this ad :)
mward04 said:
save your anger for your school my friend...
No I got nothing but love for my school now that monday has come and gone. Some sort of match day luncheon or what not would be totally unfeasible for my school but i wouldn't trade it for all the world now that I matched in EM. I mean I got to live in paradise for 2 years!!!!!!! I can wait an extra hour as my penance. I will use it to think of creative ways to take you and EF down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

colforbin: where did you get to live for 2 years?

irrka said:
colforbin: where did you get to live for 2 years?
I went to Ross Univ. First two years are in the caribbean on the island of Dominica. I could walk out my front door and be floating in the caribbean in 2 minutes and out my back and be swimming at the base of a waterfall in 15.
I went scuba diving an avg. of 1-2 times a week unless it was exam week and I traveled to 6 other islands while down there. :cool:
My standard answer whenever people ask me if I would do it again has allways been "I don't know ask me after match day". Well since monday at noon that answer has changed to HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! :D

colforbinMD said:
I went scuba diving an avg. of 1-2 times a week

drooooool

My first match day, when I graduated from UAMS in Little Rock, was held in a local bar. Our names were called at random, and we all trooped across the little stage, one by one, tore open the envelope, and announced to all where we were all going. I had done the military match, so I didn't even bother opening my envelope on stage, just said I was headed to Portsmouth. Nothing quite like having a full buzz on with your dean in attendance.

Each person dropped a dollar in a basket as they got their letter. The last one called got to keep the basket. We then hit them up for booze.

This year will be anticlimatic, with me sitting at home with a martini hitting refresh over and over and over again. Thankfully my skipper is letting me have the next two days off to drink my self into a stupor!!

23 hours and 40 minutes!

medivac, i dont get it? Whats your story? are you matching to an advanced spot? Or for fellowship or something?

calivter said:
Hope that makes sense. Bye the way, I know there's not much pub for the program, but it's a solid, county program with great residents, great attendings, and awesome path...the big drawback people mention is living in Bakersfield, but it's not that bad...anyway, for those of you looking at EM for next year...

Thanks for the clarification. Bakersfield can't be that bad. Gotta be better than living in L.A. (just too many damn people here).

Ahhhh!!!!!

Tired of waiting.

Coming soon! The match list! I am psyched to see where everyone matched.

My family lives in Bakersfield, and I can say that it IS that bad. Seriously. But the population is ripe for EM. If you like dust, it may be the place for you.

Match time is a little over 15 hours away!

La Fiera said:
Wow this means that i matched at one of my top 5, since i got a love letter from #5 which didn't match!

well my number 6 (henry ford) didn't fill but I matched. I don't think this means i therefore matched in my top 5 right? ( or does it?)

Eidee said:
well my number 6 (henry ford) didn't fill but I matched. I don't think this means i therefore matched in my top 5 right? ( or does it?)

It could mean one of two things:
1. Ford ranked you but you matched at 5 or above or

2. Ford didn't rank you and you matched anywhere on your list

BKN said:

Or 3) Ford ranked you and one of your future classmates scrambled to get there with you.

BKN said:

Couldn't it also mean that the poster matched at her #6, Ford, and there was still an unfilled spot at Ford?

I matched out of medical school into a transitional year. I did that year (and was on IM rounds at a military hospital when the planes crashed into the towers...can we say immediate lockdown with rumors of shipping out all the newbie docs?), and then got to go play with planes and pilots for the remainer of my commitment.

So, still with no residency under my belt, and Uncle Sam happy with my blood..i mean time...commitment, I now get to match again into my life mission--EM!

It will be a toss up to see who is the most culture-shocked, the fourth year students coming out of their cush last semester, or me having worked 7 ish to 2 ish for the last 3 years. *sigh* I'll be the crotchety resident in the corner mainlining caffeine :laugh:

Flopotomist said:
Couldn't it also mean that the poster matched at her #6, Ford, and there was still an unfilled spot at Ford?

Yes the only thing an unfilled spot guarantees is that IF they ranked you then you wont be below them on your list. It doesnt mean you matched above them nor does it mean you didnt match below them (if they didnt rank you).

tick tock tick tock.. going to bed in 1 hour or so..

I'm logging... see you all in the a.m. I'm sure I won't be able to sleep. wonder if I should leave cookies and milk out... feels like I'm six years old again and santa is coming!

Im gonna pad away.. I have around 60 today.. maybe ill get to 100 by the end of the hour!

Flopotomist said:

:oops:

Whooo I finally woke up.. head hurts..

EMERGENCY MEDICINE
CALIFORNIA
KERN MEDICAL CENTER-CA
Emergency Medicine 1921110R0 1 0
ACGME: 1100512001
Tel: (661)326-2161
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (661)326-2165
MARTIN L KING JR-DREW MC-CA
Emergency Medicine 2057110C0 12 6
ACGME: 1100512004
Tel: (310)668-4510
Fax: (310)762-6115
MARYLAND
JOHNS HOPKINS HOSP-MD
Emergency Medicine 1242110C0 11 10
ACGME: 1102312022
Tel: (410)955-5107
Fax: (410)502-5146
MICHIGAN
GRAND RAPIDS MED ED-MI
Emergency Medicine 2077110C0 10 6
ACGME: 1102512026
Tel: (616)391-8879
Fax: (616)391-3674
HENRY FORD HSC-MI
Emergency Medicine 1300110C0 14 13
ACGME: 1102512025
Tel: (313)916-1553
Fax: (313)916-7437
SPARROW HOSPITAL-MI
Emergency Medicine 1315110C0 10 8
ACGME: 1102512027
Tel: (517)364-2583
Fax: (517)364-3002
NEW JERSEY
UMDNJ-NEW JERSEY MED-NEWARK
Emergency Medicine 1398110C0 6 2
ACGME: 1103331177
Fax: (973)972-9268
NEW YORK
BETH ISRAEL MED CTR-NY
Emergency Medicine 1470110C0 12 8
ACGME: 1103511149
Tel: (212)420-3948
Fax: (212)420-2863
BROOKLYN HOSP CTR-NY
Emergency Medicine 1420110C0 5 1
ACGME: 1103521093
Tel: (718)250-8369
Fax: (718)250-6528
MAIMONIDES MED CTR-NY
Emergency Medicine 1428110C0* 9 8
ACGME: 1103521164
METROPOLITAN HOSP CTR-NY
Emergency Medicine 1473110C0 6 4
ACGME: 1103512031
Tel: (212)423-6684
Fax: (212)423-6383
NY HOSP/MED CTR QUEENS
Emergency Medicine 1822110C0 8 7
ACGME: 1103531173
Tel: (718)661-7305
Fax: (718)661-7679
PENNSYLVANIA
HERSHEY MED CTR/PENN STATE-PA
Emergency Medicine 1617110C0 8 7
ACGME: 1104133171
Tel: (717)531-1443
Fax: (717)531-4587
PUERTO RICO
UNIV OF PUERTO RICO
Emergency Medicine 1116110C0 10 9
ACGME: 1104212046
Tel: (787)757-1800 x 644
Fax: (787)750-0930

Call me petty but seeing Hershey on there makes me happy. They are the only program that rejected me pre dean's letter. I think I received the rejection within a week of ERAS opening. :p
In the final analysis they probably did me a huge favor as I might have ranked them highly for geography and not ended up happy but I'm still a bit bitter about not having that option :D

colforbinMD said:
Call me petty but seeing Hershey on there makes me happy. They are the only program that rejected me pre dean's letter. I think I received the rejection within a week of ERAS opening. :p
In the final analysis they probably did me a huge favor as I might have ranked them highly for geography and not ended up happy but I'm still a bit bitter about not having that option :D
Colforbin congrats on matching, in the end let the dead dogs lay. Youll be in DC which is sweet!

Oh and i dont think the way you feel is petty.. its understandable iMO.

colforbinMD said:

I agree, it seems like you got some cool interviews. I'm guessing they have some kind of 'numbers' screen and automatically reject some folks without that particular number. Come to think of it, I think they were one of the earlier ones to send me a letter saying 'we have too many excellent applicants'. I think they were right though I'm from bama, and might not have ranked stuff in pennsylvania THAT high, but you never know until you do the interviews.

either way, I understand haha.