Nov 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
What is the difference between the potential of a columbia grad vs. a temple grad. I realize the pass/fail board rate for columbia is much better than temple, and the general prestige certainly favors one of these schools, but what really matters. I read that 90% of temple grads land a residency, and yes im sure at least this many columbs must as well. I will be (hopefully) the first doctor in my lineage. Have no father/mother to just throw me the extra 250k, no its all on me. I hear countless times 'dont worry about the debt', which is easy to say if your no the one having to repay the debt. Aren't board scores all relative, what if (yes perhaps unaware of the difficulty) I crushed the boards, in fact doing better than columbia students and I was only a temple kid? Would I then be considered on paper as hire-able, what about the fact a temple alumni would have more hands on experience (aka actual dental work) over anyone else? I am finding myself in this boat now, really wanting to go to temple, but friends (and nonfriends) are encouraging I chose ivy league and I keep hearing 'not to focus on the debt', but im just not seeing the point :idea:?????????? Thanks Guys and Galls!

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
What is the difference between the potential of a columbia grad vs. a temple grad. I realize the pass/fail board rate for columbia is much better than temple, and the general prestige certainly favors one of these schools, but what really matters. I read that 90% of temple grads land a residency, and yes im sure at least this many columbs must as well. I will be (hopefully) the first doctor in my lineage. Have no father/mother to just throw me the extra 250k, no its all on me. I hear countless times 'dont worry about the debt', which is easy to say if your no the one having to repay the debt. Aren't board scores all relative, what if (yes perhaps unaware of the difficulty) I crushed the boards, in fact doing better than columbia students and I was only a temple kid? Would I then be considered on paper as hire-able, what about the fact a temple alumni would have more hands on experience (aka actual dental work) over anyone else? I am finding myself in this boat now, really wanting to go to temple, but friends (and nonfriends) are encouraging I chose ivy league and I keep hearing 'not to focus on the debt', but im just not seeing the point :idea:?????????? Thanks Guys and Galls!
1. Columbia obviously has the name. Not a whole lot of non-dental community know about temple.

2. regarding your debt comment. A lot of students are in your shoes. + When people say do not worry about the DEBT, what they mean is that what are you going to do? not go to d-school b/c of debt. So there is nothing you can do, other than take loans. Why worry about them now, you will need the money, to make money in the future.

3. Where you go does not matter, if the dentist likes you in the interview you will be hired. If the dentist is a temple alumni you will get preference. When i shadowing, the dentist hired 3 more dentists one of them was a recent grad from the state school, another one from a school which was closed for about 15 years ago. So it shouldn't matter(at least in the office i shadowed). But a lot of people are in your shoes will pick Columbia. Good luck

Bottom line: Every school is accredited. You will become a dentist either way you look at it. Yes some schools offer "this or that" over "another school"; however, you have got to realize that at any school you have to work hard to become a great dentist/specialize. Even if you go to an "IVY" you won't become great without the necessary hard work. Same goes with another school.

I based my decision on price, happiness of students, and closeness to home. I realize that there is no "easy" or "better" way out. Every student who is gives it their all and achieves good scores will end up in the respective places.

Jul 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
This "potential" for earnings and residencies you speak of will depend far, far, far more on your talents, work ethic, and personality than the name on your diploma. That's the bottom line. You have two fantastic schools to choose between: go with your heart and where you'll be happiest.

This "potential" for earnings and residencies you speak of will depend far, far, far more on your talents, work ethic, and personality than the name on your diploma. That's the bottom line. You have two fantastic schools to choose between: go with your heart and where you'll be happiest.
Exactly.:thumbup:

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
What is the difference between the potential of a columbia grad vs. a temple grad. I realize the pass/fail board rate for columbia is much better than temple
Huh? where did you get this "information" from? Most (if not all) dental schools of the USA have VERY high passing rating for part 1, all of them are above 90%, and many are very close to 98-99%.

I read that 90% of temple grads land a residency, and yes im sure at least this many columbs must as well.
Again, where are you getting this "information" from? 90%? EVEN if you were to include GPR and AEGD, it won't even come close to 90%.

I will be (hopefully) the first doctor in my lineage. Have no father/mother to just throw me the extra 250k, no its all on me. I hear countless times 'dont worry about the debt', which is easy to say if your no the one having to repay the debt. Aren't board scores all relative, what if (yes perhaps unaware of the difficulty) I crushed the boards, in fact doing better than columbia students and I was only a temple kid? Would I then be considered on paper as hire-able, what about the fact a temple alumni would have more hands on experience (aka actual dental work) over anyone else? I am finding myself in this boat now, really wanting to go to temple, but friends (and nonfriends) are encouraging I chose ivy league and I keep hearing 'not to focus on the debt', but im just not seeing the point :idea:?????????? Thanks Guys and Galls!
I think you've misunderstood a few things, let me clarify:
1) Any school that grands you the DDS or DMD is acceptable. Graduating from harvard or your local state school is NOT going to make a difference in landing a job or patients coming to you. Its all about the license, not the name of the institute
2) By time you apply and get into dental school, the part 1 exams are going to be pass/fail (no more percentage score, nothing, either pass or fail)
3) extra 250k? For temple or columbia, your looking at 350-400k (thats with living expense of course)
4) and whats this "I was only a temple kid".... temple has one of the best (if not the best) clinical system in the nation. Don't dummy down temple, just because the school isn't ivy. Temple's graduates and students are just as mentally capable as your precious ivy-leagues. When you make it to the professional level, majority of students (irrespective of what school they go to) will be smart and highly motivated. I call them the "elites from undergrad"

Me personally, If I had a choice between temple or columbia, I'd go to temple in a heart beat.

Aug 18, 2010
Status
Dental Student
It sounds like you want to go to Temple, so you should. The non-dental community might be impressed if you go to an ivy, but why should that matter? Don't even consider the fact that Columbia is an ivy, (though technically its undergrad is, I don't think there are ivy league dental schools) pick the school you like best and will be happy attending.