Note to all Rad Onc applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you probably all know, this forum is really the only place on the web for Radiation Oncology residency applicants. It has a long history going back a decade and has provided tremendous help and information to medical students, residents, and attendings.

Soooooo . . . here's an interesting piece of information.

This website has come to the attention of multiple program directors (just got off the phone with one :D !). PDs CARE about what you have to say, positive or negative. From communicating with them, the over-arching theme is that all programs want to improve and sometimes it takes an anonymous forum to get truly constructive criticism.

Yes, what you read was correct. When multiple applicants post negative things about a program, the programs take notice and attempt to take corrective measures to improve. Never once did I get a sense of vindictiveness or anger. Most PDs realize that their programs are not perfect but sometimes it takes public attention to create positive change.

So bottom line . . . by posting program reviews here you are improving the educational experience for all residents. Thanks for that and keep it up!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm thankful that this forum has grown to a place where program directors are not only aware of its existence, but actually listen to what applicants have said.

Gunk, given this new information, how would you feel about reinstating the impressions account for the 2 weeks following ROL certification? Based on the chit-chat thread there are a ton of this years applicants on the forum and I think that their contribution to the interview thread could be invaluable. Or do you have any other ideas to encourage submissions in light of this news?

Thanks, as always, for being a great mod Gfunk.

I appreciate your sentiment, but I have to give a resounding "no" to the anonymous account. It eventually ends up getting abused, every single time. If you want to contribute then register your own anonymous account, email me your review or PM me your review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your sentiment, but I have to give a resounding "no" to the anonymous account. It eventually ends up getting abused, every single time. If you want to contribute then register your own anonymous account, email me your review or PM me your review.

I knew what your answer would be, but worth a shot right?

Thanks!

Great to hear that PDs are positive about the feedback from the many applicants/residents/attendings that post here. The point GFunk makes about becoming active on the board and submitting your reviews/opinions is very important. As he says, PDs look for ways to improve, and although this is a small field, its about the feedback rather than the messenger providing it. For all of you current applicants, please keep on the tradition to giving the next generation of applicants your reviews/interview impressions, and in doing so, you might make some positive improvements in residency programs!