Note to all would-be grammar/spelling checkers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AegisZero

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only read the following if you have made numerous posts regarding grammar and spelling:

I have been scanning numerous posts recently where people complain about relatively minor spelling and grammatical infractions for posts in excess. The fact is, this is an internet messageboard. No one is checking what they write to any great extent, and no one is taking posting extremely seriously. It would be great if all you android MS Word spell/grammar check posters would cut everyone some slack. We all make mistakes, and we all make more mistakes when we aren't being careful. Most people aren't being careful when they are posting on messageboards.

Furthermore, it really is telling of the premed community when people are asking a question that is 99% understandable, and are replied to with several posts harping on a mispelled word or whatnot. It is an embarrassment to the community as a whole, and it shows the real arrogance that many attribute to the profession.

I would strongly urge you would be spellcheckers/grammercheckers to only post if you have something of quality to say in response to any questions posted. Anything else is a desperate attempt at proving yourself worthy of medicine, which by your own arrogance you obviously are not.

All this being said, this messageboard is great and 95% of you are extremely helpful posters. I want to thank all of you for the service that you perform. It is indeed appreciated, though many might not state it. Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by AegisZero
I would strongly urge you would be spellcheckers/grammercheckers to only post if you have something of quality to say in response to any questions posted. Anything else is a desperate attempt at proving yourself worthy of medicine, which by your own arrogance you obviously are not.

PS... If I made any mistakes in grammar and spelling, I don't care. Don't tell me. I got a T on writing and I don't really care what another premed thinks about my writing skills.

You split your infinitive. :p (first sentence)

Does anyone else think this post is excessively bitchy? The second sentence I quoted above is sort of toolish. You could have just kept it simple rather than insulting people, dude. It sort of takes you to their level.

I'll leave my comments about the second paragraph I quoted in my head. You all know what I'm thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, perhaps bitchy, but mainly annoyed thats all. It has happened to me a couple times so now when I see it happening to others I too get annoyed.

Also Im glad you ignored me complimenting all the people who DO make this a good board...

Originally posted by indo
I'll add to that.

When you disagree with the argument/opinion of a poster but instead of arguing against their ideas you criticize their spelling and grammar, you are actually negating your side of the argument.

Isn't that one of the fallacies? "Attacking personal characteristics rather than ideas"

I wouldn't say an ad hominem attack negates, but you do make yourself look like you don't know how to argue a point.

I still think it was a little harsh and at the level of the people being criticized...

If someone in real life corrects small grammar mistakes constantly, you would definitely think he was being arrogant.

That carries over onto messageboards.

I also did not mean to make this an ad hominem attack post. I just wanted to point out why I thought this kind of posting isn't helpful at all.

If you thought otherwise, sorry, that was not my intent.