Technology notebooks- Sony VAIO FE vs MacBook Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would be the better value? I don't have much MAC experience, but am completely up for it. I'm relatively good with picking up on technology stuff, so im not too concerned about learning macs. Anyways...is it worth the extra money for the macbook, or is the vaio the better value here?

VAIO FE880E - $1300
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5500, 1.66GHz, with Centrino Technology, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 15.4-inch WXGA TFT Display, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows Vista Home Premium

Macbook Pro - $1800
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, 15.4-inch XGA TFT Display, 6X DVD+/-RW SuperDrive, Mac OS X Tiger v10.4

Members don't see this ad.

PCs tend to have a better value, per se, when purchased. VAIO is certainly a quality laptop. Just depends on whether you want to spend the premium for the Mac platform.

Like Vista? Like tinkering with Windows? Or do you prefer some of the other characteristics of the Apple system.

just remember if you get the vaio you will be locked into Windows hell forever...

with the MBP you get the joy of OSX and the ability to use windows when/if needed. But I have a MBP so maybe Im biased:D . I love it though, all kinds of added features that make it great. Scrolling trackpad (maybe the greatest laptop feature.. ever), backlight keyboard, aluminum case, the remote is great for watching dvds/listening to music/powerpoint presentations, and obv OSX is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people think they need the MacBook Pro, when in fact the MacBook is usually enough. A 13" widescreen is a pretty large screen. In fact, it's too big for me. I'm waiting for Apple to release another small notebook.

That depends on your usage. When I bought my Mac laptop 4 years ago, I got the mid-grade 15". No DVD writer. Within one year I regretted that decision, as I had begun to edit movies. Had to buy an external HD and a DVD writer to output.

That depends on your usage. When I bought my Mac laptop 4 years ago, I got the mid-grade 15". No DVD writer. Within one year I regretted that decision, as I had begun to edit movies. Had to buy an external HD and a DVD writer to output.
My statement was about screens only. Most people do not write DVD's (most people don't own camcorders to make home movies).

Actually, I was about to post that I'm considering the normal MacBook over the pro. For a $500 difference in price, there isn't much of a difference in the things I'll need.

So...the normal MB will be $1300

Actually, I was about to post that I'm considering the normal MacBook over the pro. For a $500 difference in price, there isn't much of a difference in the things I'll need.

So...the normal MB will be $1300

It depends which one you buy. The base level model is $1049 at the apple education store. I would highly recommend at least 1GB of RAM and probably 2GB if you want it to be quick and run well with intensive apps. If you want the superdrive to burn DVDs over the combo drive that can burn only CDs and run DVDs, then I recommend you get the 2 GHz white model. If you want to be different then every other person who thinks they are cool with a macbook then get the black upper level model.

If I could afford a laptop (which I can't), I would buy this with upgraded RAM, black model, 2 GHz C2D, superdrive, and upgraded 160 GB HD.:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...6614005/wo/UX7xdIgkPcDM3cgRnROHXpVUevZ/6.?p=0
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

I'm buying an iMac this summer by the way. Make sure you buy online at the applestore. I've heard of people getting grat deals with free upgrades buying a refurbished model but I want to have some say with what I receive depending on the computer I'm buying. If you buy at the apple store online you can also receive cash back using ebates or some other things.

One thing I'm not quite sure about is whether ebates works with the apple education store. It works with the normal apple store but I'm not quite sure about the ed store. Anyone know?

Most people think they need the MacBook Pro, when in fact the MacBook is usually enough. A 13" widescreen is a pretty large screen. In fact, it's too big for me. I'm waiting for Apple to release another small notebook.

I have a first generation macbook pro and my wife has a 2nd generation macbook and am very happy with my decision...

To the OP:
I'm really happy that I went for the pro. She has 512 more memory then me and I still notice that mine is faster. I can only contribute this to the video card.

Spend the money. With a mac its totally worth it.

This may or may not be of interest to you....I came across it while browsing a fav. deal site of mine.

Sony® VAIO® VGN-TXN17P/B Ultra Portable 2.8 lbs 11 hrs of battery life $1699
HERE

I didn't read the entire thread, but as sony's go....this is a very good deal (if you want a vaio)

-t