Notification of Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sairules

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all --

I was wondering which schools are known to give admission decisions to early applicants (NOT Early decision) early on in the application cycle -- some time BEFORE the 1st of the year. Here's the sitation: I'll be applying on June 2003 for the 2004 matriculation. However, I will have graduated in the summer of 2003 from by Bachelors degree. What can I do between this time and starting medical school (August 2004) that will/can help my application just in case I want to update my application later on with some new information? I know I'll continue my ECs and volunteer work... but what else (besides research?) Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know for a fact that Tufts offers a small number of acceptances before January 1st. I forget what percentage though. My letter was postmarked Dec 15th, if I remember correctly.

I also know someone who got into Cornell pretty early. I THINK it was before the 1st. But they don't accept all that many that early, from what the Dean told us.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting in early though. In my experience schools don't really want to know what you're doing in the Winter/Spring anyway. If you're not going to be in school they ask you what you PLAN to do during the year, so of course you have to have something interesting to say. But it's not like they check up on you to make sure you're not slacking off. Of course, it's always nice to be able to send them an update on your progress at some point later in the application cycle, particularly if you're waitlisted.

Regarding what you should do...pick something that really interests you, that you'd enjoy doing for your year off. Don't do something just because you think they'd want you to do it. A lot of people do research because they think they HAVE to; you don't. And if you do something you really love, you'll probably be better at explaining it on applications and during interviews anyway. It'll be better in the long run.

So what is the advantage to applicants who apply early (like June/July) if they don't find out if they are in or not before other applicants who apply later? Most schools that have rolling admissions don't even let us know before the 1st of the year either? If that's the case... I'm sorry... this is ridiculous!!!

For me, I'll probably just continue all my ECs and volunteer activities plus work so that I can save up some money to actually pay for medical school. I don't want to be in major debt when I get out of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by sairules:
•So what is the advantage to applicants who apply early (like June/July) if they don't find out if they are in or not before other applicants who apply later? •••••Early applicants will usually get earlier interviews and earlier acceptances, but not always. Last year I applied in early July (July 5) and did not receive my first interview invitation until after the first of the year. Of course last year is probably not indicative of a normal application year because of the roll-out of the new web application.

Here are some others (of non rolling schools):
Univ. of Chicago: 15-Oct-Until Class Full
Cornell Univ.: 13-Dec, though most accepted in mid march
Univ. of Rochester: 1-Nov until Classes Full

They're are lots of good schools that offer rolling admissions (and, thus, acceptances before the new year). . . e.g. Hopkins, Stanford, WUSTL.

Hope this helps! :)