Notification of interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Westy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When and how are applicants notified about interview dates? Snail mail, email, phone?? How much notice is generally given to prepare?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
It depends on the school. I believe most if not all do snail mail or e-mail. As far as notice most schools give you a few weeks notice. The Ohio State Univeristy is an exception to this ( at least it was for me) I got an e-mail on a Friday that I had an interview the following Wednsday! So not much notice on that one--I don't know if they had that short notice for everyone or if I got unlucky. I applied to nine schools--of the four I interviewed at (tufts, UPenn,Purdue, and ohio) all but one were by snail mail. The earliest interview I had was UPenn in early january. Cornell says they will e-mail you their decision but if you are an alternate they mail a package to you--that was confusing!

Good luck and try not to get too stressed out about the wait.

For Ohio State they usually try to give two weeks notice I believe, though I've definitely heard of people being informed pretty late, which would definitely make it difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
What date ranges do various schools give interview notifications? Does anyone want to start a list for us pre-vets currently pulling our hair out at the roots?

Reactions: 1 user
If you do some sleuthing around each school's website, you can find out what month each of them plans on sending out notices. I applied to 13 schools and they all vary in sending out interview offers between November and February.

You can also check specific school threads from past years, generally the dates don't change a whole lot from year to year.

Reactions: 1 user
Somewhat on-topic question, for those of you who have applied to many different schools, did you ever have any conflicting interview dates? Are schools willing to work with applicants on that?

Somewhat on-topic question, for those of you who have applied to many different schools, did you ever have any conflicting interview dates? Are schools willing to work with applicants on that?

Depends on the school. Some offer multiple interview dates which tends to give you a little flexibility. For example, Tufts (I think they did) and Auburn had multiple dates and you told them when you were available. Other schools don't. Penn in the past assigned you a date and if you couldn't make it due to a conflicting interview, you had to choose which one you wanted to go to. Other schools, like Illinois have only one interview date for everyone, so you can either make it or you can't.

Check the interview invite threads from previous years. Most will say the date they received notification and the method (call, email, portal update, etc.).